Season seven’s trailer debuted Friday on the Winx Club YouTube channel! Haven’t seen it yet? Voilà! Enjoy!
What did I think of it? It was…underwhelming.
Like many fans, I expected something epic after last season’s trailer. That one was the best yet. It set the right mood for the season, showed just enough of the plot without spoiling everything, and teased us with gorgeous scenes and cool fights. (Too bad the season didn’t live up to the hype. Blame Nick. )
This trailer was nowhere near as good. It just felt like a longer version of the promo.
She ruined it for me. I couldn’t stand her cutesy voice, and her comments made the show sound cheesy and generic. Plus, we were already thinking some of the things she said, so she didn’t need to talk. Who can’t tell Brafilius is an idiot? And of course, the Winx are gonna win! They always do!
I wish one of the characters had narrated again. Last time, it was Bloom. How about another Winx? Or Faragonda?
BACK TO ALFEA?
The Winx are late? For what?
Please don’t say class, Rainbow! Don’t make them students again! You undid that retcon in Mystery of the Abyss (Stella says they’ve graduated). Did you change your mind, or are the movies a different canon after all?
I don’t mind that they’re still at Alfea. It’s one of my favorite places in the show. But since season four, it’s felt more like a clubhouse or command center than a school. Is anyone learning anything? Where’s Wizgiz? We barely see him anymore.
I want Alfea College back. If the Winx are teachers, show them teaching. If they’re students (Heaven forbid), show them studying. (Roxy, too. I wanna see what she’s learned. )
THE NEW VOICE CAST
Goodbye, Nick cast. I’ll miss you.
We heard some of the new voices: Bloom’s, Stella’s, Brafilius’s, Kalshara’s, and Faragonda’s. Here’s what I thought of them.
- Stella: No. Just no. Amy Gross did great as Stella, but I hoped Rainbow would recast Jennifer Seguin. No one played Stella better than her. This new actress sounds like a cross between them. I don’t like it.
- Brafilius: He didn’t talk, but his grunts sounded dumb, so the voice fits.
- Kalshara: Fierce, confident, and animal-like. Just what I expected. Thumbs up from me.
- Faragonda: Is that you again, Kari Wahlgren? This voice doesn’t sound any different to me. Even if it’s not, it fits perfectly.
- Bloom: The voice from the promo! Ugh, I really hoped that wasn’t official. It’s the second worse voice Bloom’s ever had. (The one from the RAI movie dubs is worse. Much worse.) Plus, she sounds a bit like Stella, so it might be hard to tell them apart when they’re not onscreen.
THE FAIRY ANIMALS
I thought I wouldn’t like them, but I think they’ll grow on me. At least they’re more useful than the pets from season four, and they don’t look like upgrades of the Pixie Pets either.
Like every other season, each girl got her own “pet”:
- Aisha’s: This animal was leaked last year in a Mystery of the Abyss article. It’s the only one I don’t like. What is it? It doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before. (I guess that’s okay since it’s a magic creature.) It looks like a baby, but it cried a tidal wave, so it might be stronger than it looks. It might have water magic.
- Musa: A cat, huh? It’s okay.
- Flora: This one seems to be the favorite. It’s beautiful. It looks like a border collie, which is one of my favorite dog breeds. I wonder what its talent is.
- Stella: This one is the second favorite. Who doesn’t love phoenixes?
- Tecna: A flying squirrel with circuit board lines on its tail? Are these animals from the Winx’s realms? That’d be a lot like the Selkies, but I like these guys better since they’re not all the same. You’d expect each realm’s wildlife to be different.
What about Bloom? At the end of the trailer, she encounters a unicorn at a lake. Everyone thinks that’s her pet, but I doubt it. The others’ pets are cuddly and portable, but that thing is huge. She can’t fit it in her dorm!
By the way, that was my favorite part of the trailer. It reminded me of the scene in Secret of the Lost Kingdom when Bloom saw Daphne at Lake Roccaluce (one of my favorite scenes in the movie). I love little moments of wonder like that. They make Winx Club even more charming.
I think this was a shout out to season four, when Bloom said she dreamed of riding a unicorn when she was little. Didn’t Musa say unicorns don’t exist? Scratch that from the show’s mythology. Wait! There’s more! Click here to keep reading…