Season seven ended last Sunday in the U.S. I don’t care. 😛 It might still be a year until Rainbow starts promoting season eight, and who knows when World of Winx is gonna premiere. (April’s halfway over, so so much for that rumor.) Plus, Nick Jr.’s re-airing season seven weekdays at 11:55 a.m. EST. I still have time to talk about it before it becomes old news.
Speaking of Nick Jr., kudos to them for airing the whole season in three months. Say what you will about the move — I’m still not 100 percent on board with it — but they’ve treated Winx Club better than Nick ever did. Remember how long it took Nick to finish season six? Oh, wait — they didn’t. Nick Jr. did.
On the last episode (that I reviewed), Brafilius stole Roxy’s Stone of Memories, which means he can now travel through time. Roxy thinks the animal from the Digmoles’ riddle is a Cry-Cry, the most ancient Fairy Animal species. The Winx go to prehistoric Magix (without her) to see if she’s right.
1. Roxy’s upset about losing her Stone, but the Winx cheer her up. (Um…that’s it.)
I could have skipped this scene, but I brought it up because I didn’t like the way some fans reacted to it. The word “crybaby” started floating around. Yes, she’s sensitive. Yes, she overreacted. But can’t we be a little more sympathetic? 😕
Winx or not, she’s the youngest member of the group. She looks up to her friends and wants to prove herself, but that dopey dog got the best of her. And to be fair, this causes a lot of headaches for them for the rest of the season. She probably thought the Winx would be mad at her. (Of course they weren’t.)
2. After lying to his sister about how he got the Stone of Memories, Brafilius goes back in time to prehistoric Magix. The Winx’s Stones activate when his does. Roxy tells them what he overheard from her: the Cry-Cry is the oldest known species in Magix, so it may be the animal from the First Color of the Universe. She and the guys wish the Winx luck on their mission. Aisha assures Nex she’ll be back before their date tonight.
Ugh! Every time Brafilius is on-screen, all he does is waste run-time! I know he’s supposed to be comic relief, but he doesn’t have to do a full clown act every episode. I can’t stand him! He has a few interesting moments, but 90 percent of the time, he’s just annoying. Even Knut was more bearable than him! 😕
I’m not gonna talk about Roxy being demoted again. It is what it is. If she’s somehow still a Winx, she’s clearly not one in this season. (There goes my theory.)
As for Aisha and Nex, it’s official: they’re dating. I guess that explains how they greeted each other last episode. Maybe he didn’t say “hi” right away because he knew he was gonna see her later. 😛
Is it just me, or do the couples not go on dates much anymore? Tecna and Timmy had their “first date” (yeah, right) in season five, and Stella and Brandon had their makeshift pizza date at Alfea in season six. That’s…it. 😕
What’s happened to the romance in this show? So what if most of these couples have been together for years? That doesn’t mean Rainbow can put their relationships on auto pilot for the rest of the series. We need to see they’re still in love. They need to act like real couples.
Isn’t that why Daphne and Thoren’s romance was so awkward? They went from “just met” to married in one season, we never saw them date (“The Anthem” doesn’t count), and the first time we saw them kiss was at their wedding! That’s not enough for convince us they’re in love.
Aisha and Nex definitely need more development. I’ll talk about that when I get to their date.
3. As soon as the Winx land, Musa spots three dinosaurs circling overhead. Stella has an idea for how to protect themselves: she disguises everyone as — what else? — dinosaurs. It doesn’t work. Turns out Brafilius is controlling the dinos! The Winx manage to evade their attacks, but he shoots holes in their costumes with the stingers of a large hornet he’s riding. He flies away as the fairies fall from the sky.
What do you know? Stella Couture makes useful outfits, too! Yes, the Winx looked silly, but at least Stella had good intentions. Next time, she might wanna try a more realistic look. 😛
I noticed a couple “old-school” moments in this scene. (At least to me, they were.) The first was with Musa and Stella. Musa snapped at her about the costumes, then later, when the costumes were helpful, Stella delivered a comeback: “Anyone wanna make snarky remarks about my outfits now?” They used to do this to each other more often. I miss it, and I hope we see more of it next season.
The second moment was brief. Whenever the Winx are in danger, Bloom’s first instinct is to bark an order to transform and fight. In the Nick seasons, her friends almost always obeyed her. But this time, Stella had a better idea — at least it seemed like it — and she wasn’t afraid to speak up.
I like it when the others think for themselves. Bloom may be the leader, but that doesn’t mean she always has the best ideas. Her friends should challenge her now and then. They used to do that more often, too.
4. The Winx land on top of a dinosaur egg. A cute baby T-rex pops out and follows them around while they look for his mom. Eventually, they find her in a place where a bunch of animals are hiding in plain sight, blended in with the environment. They all run from a small, bright blue animal who sticks out like a sore thumb. It’s the Cry-Cry! When Stella calls him ugly, he washes the Winx away in a river of tears. The baby T-rex gets swept up in it, too. The girls transform and save him, then they leave him with his mom so they can look for the Cry-Cry again.
I don’t have much to say about these scenes. The baby T-rex was cute. I smiled when Aisha played with him to calm him down after he figured out the Winx aren’t real dinosaurs. (Why is she so good with babies?) I even laughed when Stella kept failing to conjure drinks for the group.
That’s…it. I didn’t care about Squonk’s first appearance. The show didn’t make a big deal out of it, anyway.
Stella was the first victim of the “don’t call him ugly” gag. (Yes, it was supposed to be funny.) Hate me if you want, but…I agree with what she said. He is tacky! That doesn’t mean I don’t like him, though.
Sigh. I talk more about him later.
5. Brafilius finds Squonk, but because he’s so stupid — and all the Fairy Animals have teamed up against him — he doesn’t catch him yet. Eventually, the little guy wanders back to where the Winx are. So does Brafilius (or rather, he gets catapulted there). He turns a spider into a monster to distract them while he grabs the Cry-Cry and tries to head back to the present. The spider catches everyone except Aisha. Thankfully, Dino Mommy and her baby save them, while the Fairy of Waves chases Brafilius.
Confession: I laughed at Brafilius in these scenes. Especially when he was riding the alligator. You got me, Rainbow. Shame on me. (I still hate him, though.)
A couple things about the spider scene bothered me. First of all, we know that’s the same spider Roxy and the Winx fought in Gardenia in season four. I wish Rainbow wouldn’t reuse character models for a different character. It feels lazy. (They did it a lot in season four, especially with Duman’s transformations.)
Second, wasn’t it convenient that Aisha was the only Winx who got away from the spider? Writers do this kind of thing way too often. If you wanna give a character a moment to shine, you don’t have to put the others out of commission first. Just focus on her!
6. Brafilius scans Squonk to see if he’s the animal he’s been looking for. Nope. Angry, he calls him ugly and gets soaked in a bath of tears. Aisha catches up to them. Using her Butterflix special spell, she creates a waterspout from those tears and whirls the silly dog away. Squonk is afraid of her at first, but she manages to coax him over to her. The two form a magic bond. Aisha’s suddenly able to hear him speak, and he tells her he’s not the animal from the Digmoles’ riddle. Oh well. Time to go back to the present. Unfortunately, the little guy’s already attached to her, so she decides to take him with her.
Waterbending! It’s about time!
Seriously, it is. Why hasn’t Aisha done this before? She’s the Fairy of “Waves,” isn’t she? A spell like this should be easy by now, but all she ever does is shoot water beams out of her hands. What happened to, “I wanna control all liquids?”
I think the problem is Rainbow focuses too much on her Morphix. Yes, it’s unique and useful, but it’s not the source of her power. Water is. If Bloom can absorb fire, and Flora can make plants grow out of nothing, Aisha should be able to manipulate her element, too. I’m not saying she should ditch her Morphix, but I hope she uses it less from now on and starts “waterbending” more.
I loved the bonding scene. Believe it or not, it was one of my favorite moments in this episode. What I liked the most was despite being a baby — or acting like one, at least — Squonk suddenly sounded so mature. The way he talked — his words, not his voice — made you feel like he’s wiser than he looks. Maybe that came from his guardian form.
Now to the problem with this episode: Aisha taking him to the present. In episode two, Faragonda warned the Winx to be careful not to change the past. Doesn’t this count? It would erase everything Squonk was meant to do for the rest of his life! That should have had some impact on history.
Aisha admits in a later episode that she shouldn’t have done this — Nex says Squonk shouldn’t be there, and she says it’s temporary — but nothing changes while Squonk is there. I think that’s what bothers me the most. Rainbow knows the Winx broke the rules — Musa and Tecna do the same thing later — but we don’t see the consequences. That sounds like once again, the writers didn’t plan this out. It was another fake threat to make us think the Winx’s mission was dangerous.
7. Aisha goes on a date with Nex. Just as they’re about to kiss, Squonk drops in (literally) and lands between them. The Paladin kisses him instead! Oh, well. Time for introductions: Nex, meet Squonk.
Like I said earlier, this couple definitely needs more development. Rainbow hasn’t handled them well. Their love story was ruined from the beginning, thanks to the love triangle, but it’s still hard to tell they’re in love.
I think I know why. What’s the word people overuse when they talk about couples? Cute. “They’re so cute together! They’re such a cute couple!” Etc. Cute moments mean romance.
Aisha and Nex haven’t had many cute scenes together. They held hands and made goo-goo eyes at each other a few times in “Legendary Duel” (6X24), but that’s it. The rest of the season, they were just playing sports together. Their relationship can’t just be about that.
I think that’s why some fans were surprised they ended up together, saying it felt sudden or random. When we picture two people falling in love, we think of — well, cute stuff: staring into each other’s eyes, the lovers’ embrace, gentle music, the first kiss, etc. (Think Disney princess movies.) Except for staring into each other’s eyes, that didn’t happen with these two. It feels like Rainbow hasn’t confirmed they’re a couple yet.
This date could have been confirmation, but the writers botched it, too. First, Nex came off as rude to some fans (again) for not listening to her story. They thought he only called her beautiful to stay on her good side — or because he only loves her for her looks (which isn’t true, according to his character description).
I think Rainbow meant for this to be a lovestruck daze moment. You see these in other shows and movies, too. He was mesmerized by her beauty, and before he snapped out of it, he said the only thing on his mind: “You are really beautiful.” I know that sounds cheesy, but that’s because most fans don’t think of Nex as romantic.
The other problem with this scene was Squonk interrupting their kiss. No, it’s not because I wanna see them kiss (even though I do 😛 ). It’s because we expect to see couples kiss, and now these two haven’t yet — at least not on screen.
I hope Rainbow develops this couple better in season eight. Better yet, I hope they developed them more in WOW (if the guys are in it). Since it’s aimed at an older audience, the romance might be more typical for the Winx’s age range. Seeing a more “mature” side of Aisha and Nex’s relationship might help us believe they really love each other.
Quick Thoughts About Squonk
Fine. Squonk is cute. There, I said it. I just don’t like his teeth, his weird mane, and the loud color scheme. But he’s so innocent, you can’t help but love him.
Plus, he’s a great match for Aisha. He’s associated with water (tears), and he’s a baby (because she always gets the babies, for some reason). We get to see more of her motherly side, and we believe he really can enhance her magic. They make a good team in the Mini-World episodes. (I’ll save my thoughts about his guardian form until then.)
I liked this episode more than I thought I would. I can’t say I loved it, but I liked it more than the last one. I give it points for the bonding scene, but I have to take away points for Aisha’s questionable decision to bring Squonk to the present. (Unless the writers explained it somewhere and I missed it.)
NEXT EPISODE: “ADVENTURE ON LYNPHEA” (7X06)
As you can tell from the title, the Winx head to Flora’s home planet. They meet up with her parents, Rollos and Alyssa (we saw her last season), who tell them the Magiwolf species is in danger from an unknown threat. I remember hearing people gush over this episode (and the one after it), so I went in with higher expectations. Were they met? I’ll tell you in the next review.
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING
- Nex is a Specialist now. I bet they’ll never call him a Paladin again.
- Roxy’s crying on Bloom’s shoulder. This is familiar.
- I was just thinking, “Yeah, Bloom, it kinda is her fault,” but Roxy said it for me.
- “It can’t get any worse than this?” Is it really that bad? 😕
- Was that supposed to be an evil laugh? XD
- KALSHARA: “You didn’t find the animal with the Ultimate Power. But you did find a rock. Wonderful.” Pretty much. 😛
- Sure you did, Brafilius…
- I expected him not to know how to use the Stone, and we’d have to sit through another five minutes of him bumbling around trying to figure it out. Thank goodness, no. Time travel time!
- I forgot the guys don’t know about the Stones of Memories.
- Both Sky and Brandon sounded awful right then. 😕
- Is Roxy sure the Cry-Cry is the oldest species?
- You’re worried about doing something without Roxy? That’s different.
- I like the way Nex encourages Aisha. 🙂
- Did she say date? 😀
- Tecna’s sick of being a Stella Couture model!
- AISHA: “It’s almost more fun than flying with our own wings!”
That was cute. 🙂
- BRAFILIUS: “You fairies all have such a cute widdle positive attitude!”
I shouldn’t have liked that line, but…I did. 😛
- That bug he’s riding reminds me of Flymon.
- That’s not a rock, Stella.
- Why not keep the costumes on? You’re no safer than you were before.
- I didn’t notice those were new outfits at first.
- Aisha’s playing ball with a baby T-rex. Never thought I’d write that in a review.
- The baby T-rex think Aisha’s his mommy now. 😛
- The Winx found mommy, and Mommy found lunch!
- Most of the Winx fanbase disagrees with Stella about Squonk.
- Are the other animals scared of Squonk because of his looks — or because he causes floods when he’s sad?
- Did all of you have to transform to save the baby T-rex?
- What’s with Aisha and babies? I guess she’ll be the best mom in the group.
- Squonk’s face said, “Forgot this. I’m out. Peace.”
- Did he lead Brafilius into that trap on purpose? Bad Squonk!
- Animation error: Flora’s wings were purple.
- Villain delivery service?
- That escalated quickly.
- I’ll hand it to Bloom. She’s good at making plans on the fly (no pun intended).
- Dino backup squad!
- Brafilius is gonna leave Squonk behind now?
- Poor Squonk.
- “Magical Water Hug?” Weird name.
- Aisha bent water! Awesome!
- SQUONK: “I think you are a sweet thing as well!”
That was so cute! Awwww, Squonk! 😀
- Squonk’s voice is adorable. I guess I see why people like him so much.
- Why do the Cry-Cries look like rednecks? 😕
- Aisha and Nex are the most dressed-up diners in this supposedly fancy restaurant.
- Aisha’s doing all the talking on this date. I bet most fans thought it would be Nex, and he’d just be bragging on himself.
- He didn’t hear a word she said, did he? He was in lovey-dovey La La Land. 😛
- NEX: “But nothing could stop you from conquering my heart.”
Even I never thought he would say something that sweet. 🙂
- Aisha’s gotten three, cute compliments today.
- It’s official: Nex has permanent “jerk face.” No matter what he says, he still looks scary.
- They’re gonna kiss! ♥
- Why, Squonk? Why? 🙁
- NEX: “Okay, what the heck did I just kiss?!” Ha! 😛
- Flora’s dad looks like a hippie version of King Radius.
- MEE-lay? It’s “mee-EL-lay!” Get it right, Narrator!