This was my favorite episode so far this season. Yes, it had problems — occasional snail pace, way too much focus on Bloom and Daphne, a few unnecessary scenes, etc. But it was still enjoyable. The dialogue was acceptable, and the animation was eye-catching (especially in the Vortex of Flames).
Oh. The animation. Let me get that gripe out of the way. I caught three errors:
- Daphne wearing the wrong dress (seconds after Stella gave her the new one)
- Chatta with someone else’s wings (not sure whose)
- Daphne not wearing her tiara
I can forgive a few mistakes here and there, but these happened several times throughout the episode. Nick animation staff, step up your quality control!
It’s the day of Daphne’s coronation as Crown Princess of Domino! Question: why didn’t her parents bundle it with her “welcome home” party? Maybe they didn’t wanna overwhelm her. After all, she’s still getting used to being corporeal again.
When Bloom steps outside to find her friends — after cheering her sis up — she suddenly gets…magic heartburn? At least she knows the cause. It’s when she split her Dragon Flame among the Winx back in episode 6X03. Guess the saying’s true: no good deed goes unpunished.
Meanwhile, the Trix give Diaspro a test to see if she’s good enough to join them. They send her to Daphne’s coronation with one objective: “find a way to destroy Bloom.” Thanks to Selina, they learn about the Vortex of Flames, a fire pit conveniently located under Domino Palace. That should work.
After a looong dance sequence — made unbearable thanks to a couple dignitaries gushing over how perfect Bloom and Daphne are — Bloom’s “heartburn” returns, and she collapses. Dr. Daphne diagnoses her with Dragon Flame Deficiency and prescribes sleep. But before Sky can carry Bloom to her room, Fire Eaters, summoned by Selina, block his path!
The Winx and Daphne transform and clear them away. Thoren helps, too, proving he’s not the jerk Sky has thought he was since they were kids.
Down the hallway is another roadblock: Diaspro. She tries to convince the two cousins to take Bloom to the Vortex of Flames instead, since fire’s her element. Sky doesn’t believe her, of course. But after he’s knocked out by a Fire Eater, Thoren ditches him and follows her.
When Sky wakes up, he remembers what happened and warns Daphne about Diaspro’s scheme. The History of Magix professor whips out another fun fact: The Vortex of Flames was a training ground for Dragon Flame keepers. Bloom’s too weak to handle it at the moment, which means…it’ll kill her. Not good.
New plan: The Winx will hold off the Fire Eaters while Daphne leads Sky there. Thoren’s just about to drop Bloom in when they arrive. Thankfully, he listens to their pleas.
But Diaspro’s determined this time. She knocks the fire fairy out of his hands, levitates her over the pit, and lets go!
You’d think Daphne would just swoop down and catch her, right? Too logical. She attacks Diaspro instead. *Sigh* It’s wingless Sky who tries to stop Bloom’s descent. He almost manages to reach her hand, but Thoren freaks out and yanks him up before he falls in with her. Oh, well.
Bloom’s a goner, right? Very funny. She suddenly comes to and springs into action.
Now, if I were plummeting into a burning pit that looked like you-know-where, I’d be scared senseless. But somehow, Bloom had the presence of mind to realize where she was and decide to challenge it instead of flying away. Brave? Yes, but also hard to believe and kinda out of character.
But I think we can agree she’s truly earned her Bloomix. She overcame an assassination plot and used it to her advantage!
With her new powers, she wipes out all the Fire Eaters in a couple shots. Not a surprise. The other Winx did it, too, after they got Bloomix.
The episode ends with more dancing and a romantic moment between Thoren and Daphne. Kawaii.
Next episode (Jan. 26), Daphne leads the Winx on a tour of the Library of Alexandria, so they can learn more about the Legendarium. (I wish Roxy were here. She’s the Earth fairy, after all. 🙁 )
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING EPISODE 6X06: “VORTEX OF FLAMES”
- Winx, Specialists, and Paladins, silly narrator! 😛
- The narrator mentions Stella and Aisha getting their Bloomix powers, but not Musa and Tecna? Good grief!
- It’ll take me a while to get used to Diaspro’s new voice. This actress performs better, but her voice is so much lighter! It feels like Diaspro got younger!
- Why would anyone be stupid enough to invite Diaspro to a party after everything she’s done?
- A Trix membership exam, huh? Winx, take notes! 😛
- Bloom’s officially losing the throne. Well, Daphne would probably make a better queen anyway. 😛
- Heartburn, Bloom? Yikes!
- Loving the dresses! Not wild about the wings, but still very pretty. 🙂
- The Winx sure are being nicer to Daphne now. Hmmmmm… 🙁
- Kiko’s watching you, Diaspro!
- Aww! Sky and Thoren were so cute as kids! 😀 (Sky kinda looked like young Kuranosuke from Princess Jellyfish. 😛 )
- Really, Sky? Any kid would have freaked out in that situation! What a stupid grudge!
- Ugh! Yes! Long live Bloom and Daphne! Never mind how much Bloom’s friends have gone through to help both of them. 😕
- I don’t mind Bloom’s “heartburn,” but I wish it hadn’t come on so suddenly. Some lead-up to it in the last few episodes would have made more sense.
- Diaspro’s using Thoren’s history with Sky against him! Does she know about it?
- Daphne, you’ve got wings! Go save your sister!
- Diaspro shouldn’t have been able to block Daphne’s attack. Daphne’s a Sirenix fairy!
- Only Bloom would call a fire pit “beautiful.”
- Cool animation for the dragon battle!
- Not a Bloom fan, but her Bloomix is gorgeous!
- Romantic ending. Awwwwwww!