Eight months? Just eight months since the last episode? It felt a lot longer. It’s eleven if you count back to February 2014, the last TV broadcast of the show. Either way — good grief, Nick! Thanks for the late New Year’s gift, but please don’t make us wait that long again! (I feel like I’ve said that before. Ugh. 🙁 )
We last left the Winx on Calavera Island, fresh from their win against the zombie pirates. Fantasy Emerald in hand, they’ve returned to Alfea to relax. Our story picks up there.
Flora brings her beau, Helia, to the Alfea Greenhouse to show off her new friends, including the newest addition: the grabbing vines from Calavera. (Good thing they like her more than Stella. :P) But the tour’s interrupted by a group of freshmen. Oops! She forgot she promised them a tour, too.
She leaves Helia alone to tend to the vines. Her instructions are simple: spray with water then green tea.
He must not have a green thumb like her, because he ends up getting wrapped up and Flora has to save him. She tries to tells him what he did wrong, but he gets defensive and walks off. (*Sigh* I’ll talk about this “fight” in a minute.)
Musa shows up just in time for a girl chat. Her advice: tell him she’s not disappointed in him, and she didn’t mean to hurt his feelings. She can’t lose a sweet guy like him! Compared to Riven… Well, that’s why Musa came: to ask Flora’s opinion on him.
Cue The Owl landing at the courtyard. Break time’s over, Winx. Time for the next mission: to find the Silver Spear, the second ingredient for the Legendarium Key!
In Daphne’s classroom, Eldora and the Winx use their wands to find the Spear’s location. It’s in Fearwood, Canada, where a totem’s said to ward off a curse that turns the townsfolk into werewolves! According to legend, werewolves are afraid of silver.
As always, Selina and the Trix are spying on their conversation. They wait for a chance to interfere with the mission.
After the Owl lands in Fearwood, Eldora reminds the Winx not to look for the Spear in the real world. It only exists in the Legendarium World. (Thank, Grandma.) The Specialists head into the forest to search, while the girls hit the town using Bloom’s wand as radar.
The townsfolk aren’t in a welcoming mood. They’re all rushing to get home, since people start turning into wolves after sunset. But the girls manage to get some info: the totem’s in a clearing outside the village.
Meanwhile, the Specialists’ search turns up nothing but a fake wolf named Riven. They give up and head back to find the Winx. Suddenly, another howl rings out nearby. Riven again? Not this time! It’s the werewolves, compliments of Selina, and they surround the boys in no time!
The girls get attacked, too! Time to transform!
Since werewolves are people under a curse, the gang decides to capture them instead of destroying them. Helia lets out his stress from the greenhouse and wrangles five wolves singlehandedly. No one’s more impressed than Flora. His reward: an apology and a kiss. Awwww…
Well, the kiss will have to wait — a second wave of werewolves ruins the moment. The Winx lead them to the clearing where the totem should be, but nothing’s there. Wait — remember what Eldora said? It’s in the Legendarium World!
Just as Helia’s fighting another wolf, Icy appears and turns him into a living ice sculpture! “We’ll be waiting for you in the Legendarium World!” she tells Flora. Bloom tries to stop her friend from going alone, but Flora summons her Mythix wand faster than you say, “It’s a trap.”
Fearwood’s fantasy world looks different than she thought it would: frozen trees, a frozen lake…and a woman wearing a crown made of ice crystals? Wait — it’s Icy! Selina’s turned her into the mythical Snow Queen! And who’s that driving her reindeer-drawn sleigh? Helia!
Let me get this straight, Nickbow. Helia and Flora were gonna break up over a plant? A plant?
When did these two get so sensitive around each other? They survived a cheating scandal last season (which was all in Flora’s head), and now they get touchy over plant care? This is the most stable couple in the series (until now)! They’re above this kind of pettiness.
I get where Nickbow was going with the “see how lucky you are” angle, but this wasn’t the right way to set it up. Flora wasn’t taking him for granted. She just needed his help. Turns out he’s not good at gardening, so she tried to give him some tips. She didn’t snap at him. She didn’t even raise her voice!
What a dumb fight.
Now let’s talk about Riven, Nickbow. We know he’s a jerk most of the time, but this is weird behavior even for him. You’re trying too hard this time.
Remember the guy who took secret guitar lessons and wrote Musa a song? What happened to him? You’re telling me that in one season, he turned into this — a self-centered punk who mocks her mission and cares about nothing but training? I don’t see the progression here.
Riven’s line right before the werewolf battle sums out how you’re writing him: “So, what did I do this time?” What annoying thing can he do next? It’s getting old. And I blame you.
Speaking to you fellow fans again — I liked this episode enough. It wasn’t super exciting, and the pacing was a bit fast, but I’d watch it again. And again. I’ve watched it three times already. (Gotta get those views up! 😛 )
The werewolves put up a weak fight, but I thought they would. If Helia the ex-pacifist could take out five by himself, they might as well have given up and crawled back into the Legendarium World. The Children of the Night are still the toughest so far. 😛
As for Icy the Snow Queen, I’d care more if I weren’t so sick of Frozen. I couldn’t help but compare her to Elsa. Don’t tell me you didn’t. I know season six was made before Frozen came out, but that movie is everywhere. Eve-ry-where. It invades your life. Then your soul.
Verdict: decent episode, but only the beginning and end stood out. The rest was forgettable.
Next episode: “The Magic Totem.” Will the Winx find the Silver Spear? Can Flora save her boyfriend and defeat
Elsa Icy before they all turn into fictional characters forever? Watch it now on Nick.com!
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING
- Nice to see Helia and Flora spending time together!
- Those freshmen again? We’ve sure seen them a lot this season.
- Helia got grabbed. Saw that coming. 😛
- If Flora was still in the greenhouse, why didn’t she take care of the vines before she started the tour? (Answer: because comedy. :P)
- Gee, someone’s being sensitive. Lighten up, Helia.
- “Whoa! Do they just show up as soon as we start talking about them?” Yes, Musa, they do. Lampshading much? 😛
- “Now do you see how lucky you are?” Awwww. 🙁 (But whenever you hear that, you know you’re about to lose the thing you’re so lucky to have.)
- Do you have to remind us what the Winx’s mission is every episode? We’re not that forgetful!
- Use the wands to find the Spear. Couldn’t the Winx have thought of that themselves?
- “Mythix Vision?” I liked Mythix Insight more.
- How did Daphne know all that about Fearwood as soon as she saw the totem?
- Werewolves are scared of silver? *Does a Google search* Hey, that’s right! You kill a werewolf with silver bullets, hence the phrase “the silver bullet.” Bonus points for real mythology! 🙂
- Why do the Trix care about the Legendarium, anyway? Sure, they couldn’t use monsters to take over realms anymore, but with all the power they’ve gathered, can’t they do it themselves?
- Daphne got a new outfit again.
- Eldora showed up just to tell them something they should have already known. Because the Winx don’t think for themselves anymore. 😕
- Really, Riven? Grow up.
- Why’d the Trix wait so long to attack?
- Ooh, I love the Legendarium text! 🙂 “Mere mortals howled at the moon!”
- Riven’s the boy who cried (like a) wolf? 😛
- Couldn’t Helia tell that was a wolf’s shadow? I’ll chock this up to cartoon misrepresentation of darkness.
- How did Bloom know the werewolves came from the Legendarium? I mean, what if the curse is real? 😛
- Breakdancing werewolf. Random, but funny. 😛
- Wow! Flora should tick Helia off every day! 😛
- I know you’re sorry for hurting his feelings, Flora, but you didn’t do anything wrong. 😕
- “Way to ruin such a beautiful moment!” Yeah, Nickbow. Is kissing not allowed anymore?
- Get the power of a legendary character? What all can the Legendarium do?
- If the totem were physically there, Musa, don’t you think the townsfolk would have found it by now?
- Icy captures Helia. Flora goes after her, alone. Trap is obviously a trap.
- Did Icy know about the Snow Queen, or was this all improvised?