I tried something new last time: adding more screenshots to help guide the post along. No one said it blew up their browser, so I guess it’s okay. 😛 Here’s another change: from now on, I’m gonna highlight the main moments in the episode instead of recapping the whole thing. You watched it, too. You don’t need a detailed breakdown. 🙂
1. Daphne and the Winx are still looking for something to trade Rumpelstiltskin for the Legendarium Key. Out of nowhere (which is her M.O.), Eldora appears and gives them the Infinity Box, which can store anything, even magic power. I know the Legendarium Key’s important, but I wish this sideplot with Rumpel hadn’t lasted so long. It doesn’t even make sense. Alfea’s loaded with magic goods: rare books, artifacts only the teachers know about, and even a piece of the Codex! Yes, some things are too valuable to give away, but you’re telling me they couldn’t find anything?
How about the Sirenix Boxes? The Winx don’t need them anymore. Granted, they’re valuable, too, but all Rumpel would do is sit them somewhere to collect dust. Bloom’s leaving hers on her desk. What’s the difference?
2. The Winx go to Domino for Daphne and Thoren‘s wedding. I’ll talk about these two later, but I wanna gripe about a few other things first. One, is Stella the only Winx with fashion sense now? Morphix ribbons, Aisha? Who’d wanna wear pink glue all over her body on her wedding day? Lady Gaga? 😕
Two, was there a time skip between the first scene and the wedding? Bloom’s line made it sound like there was, but the scene with Selina and the Trix picked up from the end of the last episode. If there wasn’t, that means Thoren proposed about a day or two ago! Talk about a short engagement!
Three, what right did Eldora have to officiate? She’s not a priestess. She’s a retired fairy godmother with too many flowers in her house! Sigh. Maybe it was just for laughs.
3. Selina finally frees Acheron. He betrays her, traps the Trix in the Legendarium, and casts a spell called Infinite Chaos that negates all magic but the Dragon Flame. That’s right. Selina got used. If you didn’t see this twist coming, you might not be smarter than a fifth grader. (Apologies to the fifth graders who did see it coming. 😛 )
Doesn’t Acheron’s outfit look like the Paladin uniform? 😛 I confess: I thought Nex and Thoren were gonna be villains when I saw them in the trailer. That uniform just screams “evil” to me. (Great. I just threw a bone to the fans who think Nex is a villain in disguise. 😕 )
4. Selina contacts Bloom through Griffin’s Magic Eye. After Acheron’s spell interrupts the wedding, the Winx head to Magix to beat him. Wait a minute. Don’t you need a spell or an inter-realm ship to get to Magix from Domino? It’s another planet! How could the Winx just fly there?
They did it in “Inspiration of Sirenix” (6X01), too, but I assumed they entered the Infinite Ocean along the way. This time, they didn’t have Sirenix. Did Bloomix give them the power to fly through the space? 😕
5. After the Winx save Selina and stop Cloud Tower from crash landing, Acheron summons a three-headed dragon to destroy them. Bloom comes up with the plan: lead him into the Legendarium World and trap him there for good. I don’t have much to say about this. The scene with the Winx saving Cloud Tower was cool. Why would Acheron have the power to summon a lizard spirit, though? Is it because of the Dragon Flame? (By the way, I know some fans were wondering why he had the Dragon Flame. It’s simple: he had the piece Selina used to free him. No plot holes here.)
6. Bloom traps Acheron in the Infinity Box and trades him to Rumpel for the Legendarium Key. But before she can return to the real world, the Trix ambush her. Great. Bloom saves the day again. Hello, seasons three and five. 😕 Sigh. I wish the Winx would fight the “final boss” (or bosses) together, like they used to.
Nickbow might as well have called this episode “Daphne and Thoren.” All the comments on YouTube were about their wedding, not Acheron! Sorry, Valtor wannabe. No one cares about you. 😛
I know why the fans are against this marriage. Bloom and Sky have been engaged since Magical Adventure — or was it Secret of the Lost Kingdom? — but they aren’t saying a thing about a wedding yet. Daphne just got her body back last season. Now she’s getting married already? Yep, it’s not fair.
Are she and Thoren even ready for this? They just started dating! You can’t marry someone you just met!
Wait a minute. Don’t we know another couple who almost did the same thing? I’ll give you a hint: they got engaged in season four, then the boyfriend sacrificed his life to save Roxy’s realm. Yep, Aisha and Nabu!
I can hear you guys clambering to their defense:
- “It was an arranged marriage.”
- “They were mature enough to handle it.”
- “But they were made for each other!”
- “Aisha and Nabu forever!”
Yeah, yeah, I know. We loved them so much, we can’t fault them for anything. But if you take the emotions out of this, the truth still remains: they didn’t date long, either.
A season’s usually about the length of a school year. Aisha and Nabu became a couple in “The Wizards’ Challenge” (3X23). That’s where he told her his real name, then they apologized to their parents for rebelling against the arranged marriage.
The couple got engaged in “Winx Club Forever!” (4X11). In the first episode of the season, Musa said they were freshmen three years ago (i.e. three seasons), so mid-season + summer might be about seven months. So they may have been dating about eight to ten months before Nabu proposed.
Weren’t they engaged the whole time? Yes, but they didn’t want to be. Plus, Aisha didn’t know “Ophir” was really the guy her parents set her up with. “The Wizards’ Challenge” was when they became a couple on their own, and “Winx Club Forever!” was when they chose for themselves to get married.
Daphne and Thoren were probably together no more half a year, so Aisha and Nabu beat them in amount of time. But if you count by episodes, Daphne and Thoren won. They became a couple in “Vortex of Flames” (6X06). We didn’t see him propose to her, but my guess is it happened off-screen in “The Anthem” (6X23). He wasn’t there when the gang said goodbye to Riven — he barely knew him anyway — so he could have been with Daphne then.
Number of episodes between “couple confirmation” and engagement: 17 (23-6 = 17). How many for Aisha and Nabu? 14 (26-23 = 3; 3 + 11 = 14).
My point is both couples rushed to the altar. So why don’t we criticize them both? I hinted at the reason earlier: we’re attached to Aisha and Nabu, so we can’t judge them fairly. We don’t care as much about Daphne and Thoren, so we don’t mind picking their relationship apart.
Let’s leave them alone and let them be happy. Or are we willing to scold Aisha and Nabu, too? Yeah, I didn’t think so. 🙂
Moving on the main event in this episode: Selina freeing Acheron, the creator of the Legendarium. Nickbow made him look like the “final boss” of this season. Did he live up to the hype?
Yes and no.
He was pretty tough. We don’t know if he was using the Dragon Flame or his own power, but either way, he was stronger than the Winx. And he nullified all magic in the universe — except the Dragon Flame — with just one spell. (I wish we’d seen more of the effects of it.) Not a bad showing for a villain.
The disappointing part is he lasted as long as his Legendarium monsters. Bloom didn’t even destroy him. She just locked him in a box!
What’s with this “don’t kill the super-villain” thing lately? In season four, the Winx just froze the Fairy Hunters in the Omega Dimension. In season five, King Neptune sent Tritannus to Oblivion. Now, Bloom locks Acheron in a box and gives him to a dwarf? Really? 😕
The Winx need to finish the job! Don’t they know these guys can escape? Tritannus did in Mystery of the Abyss (with the help of Politea and the Trix). Valtor got out of Omega (also with the Trix’s help), so what if the Fairy Hunters can, too? I don’t know about Acheron and the Trix, but as tenacious as those witches are, you never know when we’ll see them again.
Acheron was disappointing, but I still liked him. He felt like a cross between Valtor and 4Kids Darkar. In a better season, I think he would have been a bigger threat.
That’s all I’m gonna say about him for now. I know it’s not much, but I’m saving my thoughts for a post about the villains. Stay tuned.
This episode was okay overall. My main problem with it — besides Bloom saving the day — was the slow action. For once, we got a decent fight against a decent enemy, but we couldn’t take it seriously because everything moved like it was underwater!
The worst scene was Bloom vs. Acheron in the Legendarium World. Example: Acheron shot two fireballs. They took ten seconds to reach her, but she just floated there and let herself get hit. Why didn’t she dodge? She had more than enough time!
It reminded me of a season five episode where Aisha fought Tritannus one-on-one. They looked like they were performing a synchronized swimming routine! The funniest part — it wasn’t supposed to be funny, but it was — was when she knocked him down, and he drifted to the floor spread-eagle. 😛 (I think that’s what happened. I’ll have to find the episode again.)
I’m glad Rainbow ditched the CGI. It works for the movies but not the show. Switching between two art styles every episode was too jarring.
Verdict: Decent episode, but the slow pacing ruined the action. Also, points off for making Bloom the hero again.
Thoughts While Watching
- We’re not done with the Rumplestiltskin plot yet? With all those treasures in the Alfea Underfloors, you didn’t find anything?
- Daphne’s got her head in the clouds. 😛
- Ice cream, Stella? Ice cream? Sometimes you’re funny, but that’s just stupid!
- That hat made me think of “The Sirenix Book” (5X05) when the Winx kept opening those season magic books.
- Stella’s like Varrick! She just says whatever pops into her head!
- Enter Ms. Ditz. Sigh. I liked Eldora at first, but now I’m sick of seeing her. And what is she wearing?
- The Infinity Box? Meh. The Agador Box was prettier. :P.
- Daphne hasn’t heard a word you said, Bloom. 😛
- How did Bloom not know about Daphne’s engagement? She didn’t rush back to Alfea and tell her sister right away?
- Why is Stella the dress designer? Don’t brides usually shop for their own dresses? 😕
- Every time the Winx add their personal touches to something, Tecna’s is always the most useless. A glowing tiara? That’s great.
- And Musa’s is the second most useless. Musical shoes? 😕
- Daphne: “This is all very nice, but…isn’t it a bit much?” Yes…I mean, of course not. 🙂
- Just five guys left. (I’m resisting the urge to make a Five Guys Burgers and Fries joke. 😛 )
- Um, Nex, Helia — when did you two become best buds?
- Thoren looks like an orchestra conductor to me. 😛
- “Hey, Thoren. Looking sharp!” said one of the guys. I couldn’t tell if it was Brandon, Sky, or Nex. (It doesn’t help that Brandon and Nex have the same voice actor. 😕 )
- Hi, Peg. 😛
- Why are the Pixies riding the carriage? 😛
- Roy‘s still there? I thought he left. He wasn’t with the guys earlier. I’m calling this an animation error.
- Marion: “A bright and beautiful future awaits you, dear.” At least we hope so. We don’t know Thoren very well, and neither do you. 🙂
- The Trix freaked out that much over the Dragon Flame? They once stole it themselves! I guess they’re scared because they know how powerful it is.
- Here comes Acheron! This scene’s pretty epic! I love the music!
- Fun fact: Acheron’s voiced by Sam Riegel, who also voiced Riven. 😛
- The Legendarium had only one blank page? What about that story about the Trix in “Mystery of Calavera” (6X15)? I thought Selina wrote it in.
- Gasp! He betrayed Selina? What a (painfully obvious) twist! 😛
- The Trix got trapped in the Legendarium. Called it.
- Selina sure turned on him quickly! 😛
- Infinite Chaos? Yikes!
- Joyful occasion ruined.
- Since the Dragon Flame’s the only magic that works now, I guess Bloomix makes a bit more sense.
- Riven?! What are you doing here? Okay, that’s definitely an animation error!
- Animation error #3: Musa’s wing flew away! 😯
- Selina just saw she was too close to the edge, but she still stepped back? Was that on purpose?
- Is it just me, or did Acheron look a little worried about her?
- The Winx saved Cloud Tower! Cool scene! Go, Winx! 🙂
- Did Acheron just turn Cloud Tower into a three-headed dragon?
- Musa: “Who decided to call this lizard thing ‘great?'” 😛
- A little Shyamalaning there. Bloom didn’t need to say “book” twice.
- You’re gonna trade Acheron for the key? Hmmm.
- Did Bloom know they’d end up in front of Rumpel’s house?
- Are you gonna fight or talk? 😕
- I forgot about the Infinity Box!
- Acheron’s done already? 😕
- For the love of the Great Dragon, stop rhyming and take the box! 😡
- I was right. Sam Riegel voiced Rumpel, too. Rumpel, Acheron, and Riven. Three very different characters. 😛