Finally! The last episode of season six — which, by the way, premieres Sunday, Nov. 22 at 10 a.m. EST on Nick Jr., followed by the premiere of season seven at 10:30 a.m. EST. We’ve waited a long time for this, haven’t we?
And you’ve waited a long time for this review. Sorry, guys. 😳 I’ve had a hard time adjusting to my school schedule. (So glad this semester’s almost over.)
Let’s wrap this season up, shall we?
1. The Winx (minus Bloom) are still fighting the Great Lizard Spirit. Selina wants to help, but thanks to Acheron’s spell, she’s powerless. Suddenly, a surge of energy bursts out of the Legendarium, restoring her magic. This means Bloom defeated Acheron!
The only thing I liked was when Selina got her power back. The visuals were pretty cool. (Confession: I like the new animation.) I’ll gripe about the rest of this scene later.
2. Bloom’s fighting the Trix in the Legendarium World. After a few minutes, Icy freezes her Mythix wand and knocks it — and her — to the ground. Since they’re stuck forever, they plan to have fun torturing Bloom for the rest of their lives. They trap her in The Cage of Sorrow, a magic sphere that slowly saps her energy.
Wow! This was a decent fight scene — definitely the best that’s taken place in the Legendarium World. The pace was faster, and Bloom didn’t let herself get hit like she did when she fought Acheron. (Seriously, she could have dodged those fireballs.) She even taunted Stormy and Darcy when she hit them!
Is this “safe” to air on Nick Jr.? 😕 I can see the tweets already:
- “Bloom’s a bad role model for little girls!”
- “This show’s too violent! My four-year-old doesn’t need to see this!”
3. Selina figures out the Lizard Spirit’s secret: it’s fueled by the magic the Trix stole from the schools. She goes in Cloud Tower and releases the magic from the dragon skeleton. The schools get their energy back, and the Lizard Spirit dissolves.
I’ll talk about Selina later, but here’s something that bothered me about this scene: the Lizard Spirit got beaten by an instakill gimmick. Most of the monsters in this season did. Are the Winx not allowed to attack till the monster’s dead anymore? 😕
4. Drawing on the power of love and friendship, Bloom gives herself an energy boost. She breaks out of the Trix’s cage, traps them in bubbles, then teleports out of the Legendarium World.
Winx Club went Sailor Moon on us! 😛 This isn’t the first time a Winx has used emotion to boost her power, but I’m sure it’s never happened like this before! I couldn’t take it seriously! Is it just me, or are we starting to see more anime influence in this show?
5. After Bloom and Selina make up, Bloom tries to lock the Legendarium. The Key won’t turn! Turns out not just anyone can use it. It has to be Selina. Now that she’s helped them win, the Winx trust her with the Key. Acheron and the Trix are trapped in the book forever.
I liked this twist. Selina got to clean up the mess she made herself. Plus, hearing the Trix begging her to let them out was pretty funny. 😛 (Are they really trapped forever? Maybe, maybe not. You know how tenacious they are.)
6. Life goes back to normal. Selina returns the Legendarium to Eldora and asks to be her student again so she can become a better fairy (yes, fairy). Griffin goes back to being headmistress of Cloud Tower. The Winx and the guys attend Daphne and Thoren’s wedding, where the happy couple finally gets hitched without a hitch.
So obligatory party at Alfea. Except this time, it’s a wedding at Domino Palace. Congratulations to the future king and queen of Domino.
Really, Nickbow? You had Kiko catch the bouquet? 😛 I guess the Winx aren’t marrying their boyfriends any time soon.
My prediction: wait till the final season. The couples will say “I do” at Alfea, and Rainbow will try one more time to make us think Bloom and Sky aren’t meant to be. He’ll go missing, Diaspro will try to steal him (for the millionth time), Erakylon will be attacked, etc. (Note: I’m making this up! We’ll see if I’m right.)
Thank goodness! Rainbow can still write a decent finale! It wasn’t the best — I still loved season one’s the most — but it beats the last two seasons’ disasters. We even had a first: a villain switching sides to help the heroes take down her former allies.
(Before you spam the comment section — no, I’m not counting Griffin or the Cloud Tower witches. They weren’t true villains. I’m not counting Nebula, either. She was more misguided than evil, and she never on the Wizards’ side.)
Let’s talk about Selina. If you ask me, this was her episode. The Winx did all the fighting, but let’s face it: they didn’t help much. Selina saved the day when she released the stolen magic.
I’ve heard people call this her “redemption,” and I agree. She even went back to being a fairy after this, which in Winx Club is like changing your alignment. Were the Winx too quick to trust her after everything she did — trapping the Pixies in the Legendarium World, poisoning Flora, and endangering the entire Magic Dimension? You be the judge.
Like the Light Rock monks in season two, I believe no one’s beyond redemption — if they truly want it. Selina did. Besides, her actions in this episode saved as many people as she harmed in the past.
Also, the way Nickbow set this season up, it made sense for her to be the ultimate hero. She always had a connection to the Winx through Bloom, and sometimes we saw her questioning herself. She wanted power, but she also wanted her friend back. We also knew Acheron was gonna betray her. Why wouldn’t she team up with the good guys in the end?
My one complaint — and I know it’s petty — is she and Bloom were the only ones who did anything meaningful. The other Winx were useless again. I know I sound like a broken record, but I miss the days when the girls fought the final boss together. Sigh. Maybe next season. 🙁
My other gripe was with Bloom being stuck in the Legendarium World. I already talked about the plothole of the Pixies being trapped for twenty-episodes and still being able to escape. But at least Aisha had to get them out. In this case, Bloom got herself out even after she became an illustration in the book!
To me, this proves Nickbow didn’t think the “trapped forever” gimmick through. Like the Sirenix Curse, it was there to make us think the Winx were risking their lives. But they weren’t. Clearly, they could escape any time.
It’s a shame. I loved the concept of the Legendarium World. I’ll talk about that when I review the full season.
Nothing else stood out to me. Everything ended the way I thought it would. The Legendarium was locked, the schools went back to normal, and Daphne and Thoren got married. Yay!
Verdict: A decent finale. Far from perfect, but better than the past two finales. Points off for making Bloom and Selina the heroes, but bonus points for Selina’s redemption.
That’s Winx Club season six! I’ll remind you again: “Winx Forever” premieres Sunday, Nov. 22 at 10 a.m. EST on Nick Jr., followed by the premiere of season seven at 10:30 a.m. EST. Don’t forget to watch! We need the ratings!
What’s next for me? I’ll review season six as a whole, talk about the villains (especially Selina and Acheron), and pick my top 3 favorite and least favorite episodes. And of course, I’ll review “The Alfea Natural Park” (7X01) after it airs.
Thanks for being patient with me, guys!
Thoughts While Watching
- “Bloom defeated Acheron…” Ugh. 😕
- I still don’t see why the Winx can’t leave the Legendarium World even if a bad guy shows up. Who cares about the Trix, Bloom? Get out of there!
- “Winx Forever.” Not to be confused with “Winx Club Forever” (4X11).
- Stella: “Lizard breath over here isn’t gonna stop anytime soon.” What was the point of that line? 😕
- No, you don’t need Bloom, Aisha! Your magic still works even when she’s gone! Just attack the dumb thing like you did a moment ago! 😡
- Where was Selina pointing to when she said “Legendarium World?” The book was in her hand!
- That lizard looked very happy when it saw Selina. 😛
- “Organic Shield?” I thought it was “Organic Cube.” 😕
- Aisha: “Thanks to you. You’ve done enough damage, Selina!” Touchy, touchy. Bloom leaves and they gang up on her childhood friend. 😕
- The magic came back? That was sudden. 😛
- For a moment, I forgot Selina could fly. 😛
- Why is Acheron’s page back? Yes, he’s trapped in the Legendarium again, but he said there was only one blank page, and the Trix are in it now. Plot hole? 😕
- Wow! A real battle! Bloom vs. the Trix! This is good! 😀
- I’m loving this fight! Seriously! Bloom just kicked Stormy…and Darcy! 😀
- Bloom: Ooh, that looks like it hurt!
Icy: Get over yourself, Bloom!
Loving this! 😀
- Bloom can’t cast magic without her Mythix wand? That’s a lame handicap!
- The Trix plan to use Bloom for their amusement for the rest of her life. That’s…dark. 😕
- Cage of Sorrow? That’s a new spell.
- Andddd…cut! Man, that was good! 🙂
- Rainbow, stop making Flora look like a weakling! 🙁
- Wow, Flora. That was a quick recovery. 😕
- Ropes around its mouth? That’s your special spell, Selina? Why did no one think of that before? 😕
- I guess Aisha’s in charge now. 😛
- Why were all the witches in the assembly hall anyway? Did someone call roll?
- Second question: why are there so many witches now? When the Trix took over the school, they only had about eight in their army. Where were the others?
- All of Cloud Tower’s energy’s in that dragon skull? What about the Heart of Cloud Tower? Is this it? 😕
- I guess the Lizard Spirit’s part of Cloud Tower.
- Wow, poor Bloom. 🙁
- Nakama power!
- Trix in bubbles. LOL! 😛
- Your friends saved Cloud Tower without you, Bloom. Because they can fight without you. 😛
- “Winx Forever!” Stella just did a title drop. 😕
- What do you mean “are you sure,” Selina? Duh!
- Selina had to lock the book? Interesting. 🙂
- I guess the Trix being locked in the Legendarium World was the “big ending” Romi Dames teased two years ago. That is pretty big!
- Are you really that ditzy, Eldora? You knew about the Legendarium Key! I’m not gonna miss her next season!
- Yay, Selina’s going back to being a fairy! 🙂
- Griffin got her school and her swag back. 😛
- Yeah, it was weird the guys were wearing their uniforms to a wedding.
- Stella, why did you think shorts were a good idea? What goes on it in your head? 😕
- Why are they all in Bloom’s room anyway?
- Back to the wedding.
- Aw, Marion! 🙂
- An adorable couple indeed. It just happened a little…fast. 😛
- You have a life lesson, Eldora? I can’t wait. 😕
- Sigh. Yes, I knew that wouldn’t be worth it. 😕
- The fanbase objects, but who cares! Congratulations! 😛
- First uninterrupted kiss of the season! And Thoren’s been waiting for it all day! (Just wait till tonight. 😛 )
- Ooh, another kiss! With a leg pop! 😛
- Bloom’s not crying because she’s happy for Daphne. She’s crying because that should have been her and Sky instead! (Just kidding. 😛 )
- None of those maidens really came to support Daphne. They just came for the bouquet toss. 😛
- Why are the Pixies trying to catch it? Do Pixies get married? 😕
- Kiko catching the bouquet feels like a middle finger to the fans. “Want your favorite couple to be next? Too bad! Kiko’s gonna marry that white bunny from last season!” 😛