I know, I know. I’m extremely behind on these reviews. They take a while to write, so I started feeling overwhelmed. Plus, I always feel brain-fried and spacey while I’m in school.
Sorry, guys. Thanks for being patient with me. I’ll still review the whole season, but I won’t be anywhere near done when the last episode airs. (A lot of you have seen it all anyway, so maybe that’s okay.)
This review’s gonna look a little different to you. I’m trying to find the format that works best for me so I can churn these out faster, but still get most of my thoughts out. Let me know what you think.
When we — I mean, I — last left our heroes, they’d just gained the Butterflix power — everyone but Roxy 🙁 — and returned to the present. Now if I mention Kalshara, Brafilius, or Faragonda, I’ll be talking about their present-day selves.
1. Kalshara interrogates the Digmole (again), and Brafilius tries to help by casting a spell to make it speak human language. But the little guy still won’t talk.
At the risk of sounding like broken record: Why does Kalshara need Brafilius? She even used her own magic in this scene to move the Digmole’s cage. He’s useless.
Every now and then, he does something interesting, but most of the time, he’s just comic relief. I’d be okay with it if he were funny, but he’s not. He’s just silly. I wish Kalshara were the sole villain this season.
2. Meanwhile at Alfea, the Winx have brought a group of Digmoles to Faragonda’s office. Roxy casts her vocalization spell on them, and they give the fairies a riddle: “Amongst the many, find the animal with the first color of the Magic Universe. This is the only way to obtain the Fairy Animals’ Ultimate Power.” Searching for said animal will have to wait, since today’s the grand opening of The Alfea Natural Park. Unfortunately, the party planner, Stella, forgot all about it.
Wait a minute. Did the Winx changed time? Digmoles were nearly extinct, and now they’re everywhere. Did saving them from that giant change their fate? And were Kalshara and Brafilius the ones who nearly wiped out their species?
It’s also possible they were never extinct, and the Winx now knew where to find them. I doubt that, though. Anyone who’s studied Digmoles would know to look underground. Why would they have looked for them all this time?
I’m not sure which of my theories is correct — or if they’re both wrong. All I know is the Winx changed something. Bloom said it herself. Why would Faragonda trust them with the Stones after that? Clearly, they can’t handle the responsibility.
At least this was a small change that didn’t wreck history, and they figured out what Kalshara and Brafilius are after. I love seeing Roxy use her magic. She learned that vocalization spell way back in season four (though it was weak). Last season, she perfected it with Griffin the crow, and now she can use it easily. It’s nice to see how far she’s come as a fairy. 🙂
3. The party in the park starts late. The Winx say hi to their boyfriends. Newly-single Musa feels left out of the love, but Bloom cheers her up in time for the grand opening magic show.
Hi, guys. Glad you could make it. I think this is the latest first appearance in any season. Rainbow really is pushing them into the background. 😕
They’re wearing their season five outfits again — except Nex, of course, who’s got a brand-new look. I think it suits him. I love how the Specialists are in sneakers, but he’s in hiking boots, proving he’s the outdoorsy, athletic guy in the group. (Reminds me of Aisha in season two.)
I like his outfit now, but when I first saw it…I cracked up! The jacket, the necklace, the metal bracelets, the earrings (which he had all along). Can you say “cliché?” 😛
Search Google, and you’ll find tons of anime “bad boys” rocking this look. I’ll give you one for free. Last November, a movie called Digimon Adventure tri. — Saikai (Reunion) premiered in Japan. (Yep, I brought up Digimon again. I love that series.) Take a look at one of “bad boy” Yamato’s (Matt) new outfits. I guess he and Nex shop at the same store. 😛
I have something else to say about Nex, but I put it under “Other Thoughts.”
Along with a new main character, we have two relationship changes this season. Aisha and Nex are officially a couple, and Roy has disappeared. I still hear complaints about it, mainly from the fans who hate Nex, but…they’ll get over it. 😛
I mentioned the other change in the scene recap: Musa’s now single. Rainbow stepped on MuRi fans’ hearts again when she said she and Riven “weren’t made for one another.” You know I agree with her, but the shippers are still in mourning and waiting for him to return. (Wow, that sounds familiar.)
Things got worse a few episodes later when Orlando was introduced. Poor guy. I’ll have lots to say about him when I get to those reviews. Here’s a preview. Because the fans just saw him as a threat to MuRi, they overlooked the most important aspect of his character. I can’t believe no one mentioned it all this time. I’m disappointed.
4. The Winx ask the guys to help with their mission. Meanwhile, Brafilius sneaks into the park using the Digmole’s magic to cross the barrier. But thanks to his clumsiness, the Fairy Animal escapes from him.
Something dawned on me as I was writing this. If Brafilius knows the riddle, that means he and Kalshara finally got the Digmole to talk. Either his spell worked (not to give him too much credit), or they did something cruel to the little guy. Or both. Let’s not think about it. 😛
5. The gang finds a large, sleeping tortoise. Other Fairy Animals live alongside it and create a magic lullaby that keeps him asleep. Because it’s old and has a dark shell, Tecna thinks it might be the animal they’re looking for. (She thinks the riddle means the universe was once covered in darkness.) But waking it up would disturb the balance of nature. As they’re trying to figure out another option, the Digmole finds them. Under Roxy’s vocalization spell, it warns them Brafilius is in the park. Bloom wants to fight him. Roxy thinks they should focus on the mission and let the Fairy Animals protect themselves. Since the two can’t agree, Roxy leaves the group to do her own thing.
Did this tortoise look familiar to you?
No, they’re not exactly the same. But my point is this isn’t the first time we’ve seen a giant tortoise with an ecosystem on its back. Like I said before, Fairy Animals aren’t a new concept in this show. They’ve always been around. Rainbow just ignored them until now.
Moving on to Bloom and Roxy’s fight — wait, was that a fight? It didn’t feel like a big enough deal for Roxy to react the way she did. Then again, we know she can be stubborn and hypersensitive sometimes. She stormed off once in season four, too, so this wasn’t out of character.
But why didn’t anyone go after her? They talked about it, but no one moved. Did they want the dopey dog wizard to find her? 😕
You could argue they got sidetracked by what happened next, but they had a few moments before it started. Even then, one or two of them could have gone looking for her. Clearly, the writers just wanted her to end up alone.
6. Brafilius uses the gem on his hat to analyze the tortoise. This wakes it up, and it starts shooting energy beams out of its back! The guys go into attack mode (as usual), but the Winx wanna use a gentler method to calm it down. They transform and protect the guys as they gather the animals that ran away during the chaos. Bloom uses her special spell, Freedom Enchantment, to help them restart the lullaby. Soon, the tortoise falls asleep again.
That was random. I know the Winx have to save the day each episodes, but this just felt unnecessary. I don’t think they all needed to transform. Bloom could have handled this herself.
7. Elsewhere in the park, Roxy’s looking for the oldest animal. She comes across a Highedgehog, an ancient creature but not the most ancient. Her next guess is an extinct species called the Cry-Cry. She decides to travel back to prehistoric Magix to find it, but before she can activate her Stone, Brafilius uses his hat to steal it and the Digmole! Roxy finds the others and tells them the bad news.
Let me gets this straight. First, Roxy — the Fairy of Animals — doesn’t get Butterflix because…the writers said so. Then one episode later, she gets her Stone of Memories taken, which means she can’t join the Winx on their missions anymore.
What was all the hype about her for? Wasn’t this supposed to be her big reintroduction to the show? She’s still a side character! Thanks for getting our hopes up, Rainbow!
The Guys’ New Voices
The Winx’s new voices are…okay. The guys? I think Rainbow told DuArt, “Just cast whoever.”
Brandon, Helia, and Timmy aren’t bad (except Helia sounded weird in one scene). Sky and Nex sound awful. They sound like teenage meatheads, which almost works for Nex but not for Sky. The actors need try different voices for them.
Is Nex “The New Riven?”
When this episode premiered in Greece last May, some fans watched Nex’s behavior and said, “Yep, he’s the new Riven all right.” They’re still saying it now. I can’t believe people still think that about him. Some fans are 100 percent convinced, and they blew his joke about Stella being late way out of proportion. How dare he insult her like that! 🙄 (Wait…she was late, wasn’t she? :?)
Whether you like Nex or not, this idea he’s “like Riven/replaced Riven” needs to die. I’m not just saying that because I disagree with it. It’s a distraction now. While the fans were busy shoehorning him into that role, they missed what Rainbow was really doing with his character. If they’d paid attention, they’d know what Nex’s true role is.
I’ll talk about it more in a different post. For now, here’s a hint. Take note of who Nex is with each episode and how he interacts with them. Keep in mind why he’s here in the first place. You might figure it out before I finish my post. 😉
What’s Wrong With Flora and Helia?
I don’t mind a little conflict between these two, since there’s no such thing as a perfect relationship. I found a quote not long ago: “A relationship without arguments is a relationship with a lot of secrets.” (I don’t know who said it, but it makes sense.) If that’s true, this couple’s hiding a lot from each other.
But why is it when they fight, Helia acts like a different person? I know that happens sometimes. When someone’s angry, they don’t always act the way you’d expect them to. But this felt out of character for him.
Helia’s usually patient and self-controlled. I don’t know what got into him, but I didn’t like it. But I also don’t like the fans saying he was “acting like a jerk.” Stop using that term around every time a guy cops an attitude!
I still wish we knew why he was acting like this. Why did he wanna wake the tortoise up so badly? Did he wanna prove a point to Flora? 😕
Overall, this episode bored me. I was glad to see the guys, but I knew they’d show up eventually. And it doesn’t make up for Rainbow pushing Roxy further into the background.
NEXT EPISODE: “A FRIEND FROM THE PAST” (7X05)
Following Roxy’s advice, the Winx travel back to prehistoric Magix to find the Cry-Cries. They babysit a newborn dinosaur, Brafilius sics a giant spider on them, and Aisha makes a new friend. Yes, this episode aired weeks ago. I’m just setting you up for my next review. 😛 Stay tuned!
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING
- Back to the present!
- Is Brafilius a shapeshifter, too?
- That double voice thing is creepy!
- Um, Kalshara, you were more intimidating as a lion. I don’t think you know how interrogation works. 😛
- Brafilius considers himself a wizard? Um…no. =P
- There’s that crystal Digmole again.
- I wish Faragonda would stop forcing Roxy to help them. It makes it feel like she doesn’t belong with them, and she’s just a tagalong…which is true, I guess. 🙁
- Stella forgot about a party?
- You left this job to Stella, Faragonda. As long as you’ve known her, you should have known this would happen. 😛
- Hi, guys!
- Why are just last year’s freshmen and a couple fairies from season five here? Where’s everyone else?
- Amazing event? I doubt that. =P
- NEX: “She is amazing. Amazingly late!”
Why were there two voices saying that line? Was someone else supposed to say that? It sounded like Roxy.
- Wow! Bloom and Sky actually kissed! That’s already more physical affection than we saw in both Nick seasons!
- Aw, Timmy! That was sweet! 🙂 But since when does he care about fashion? Since their date in season five? (Notice I didn’t say “first date!” )
- That was cute, Flora, but a little different for you. 😛 More of this, you two.
- Aisha and Nex are being sassy with each other. 😛 If this is what their relationship’s gonna be like, I like it. 😛
- Musa’s voice got lighter all of a sudden.
- Ouch. Sorry, MuRi shippers. You heard the girl.
- MUSA: “Riven is no longer a part of my life, but I know it was the right choice.”
I think you did, too. Find happiness, dear. There’s a lesson to be learned here, and we’ll understand it someday.
- BLOOM: “Life has a way of leading us to focus mainly on ourselves — our own dreams, our own problems. But it’s important to remember that we can do good for others.”
I don’t know if I liked this speech. Was she talking about Musa or Riven (or both)?
- BLOOM: “Life is about loving and supporting one another.”
Okay, that felt like a “take that” to Riven. 😛
- Nice song.
- Why is Nex being a troll today? 😛 (I’m with him. It wasn’t that great. 😛 )
- No, guys. No action for you. =P (What was Helia doing? 😕 )
- The Magic Universe was immersed in darkness? This is news to me. And why does that mean the guys will be helpful? They’re usually not. 😛
- Oh, so Tecna was wrong?
- Brafilius walked through the barrier with a Digmole next to him. It was that easy. Step up your game, Faragonda!
- “Cool beans?” Never thought I hear that in this show.
- You are not a great wizard, Brafilius! (Maybe he was before Kalshara changed him.)
- “Fuzzbag?” 😕
- The great wizard Brafilius wags his butt in the air!
- Harmony between the Fairy Animals? That’s not supposed to be literal music, you know!
- Whoa! What was Helia’s voice? Weird!
- Why are you mad at him, Flora? 😕
- The Digmole’s older than 2,000 years?
- Why did Roxy leave over that? 😕
- Geez, Helia! What’s with you, today?
- The diamond on his hat can scan things?
- How could Helia have done anything, Flora?
- BRANDON: “Hey, nobody attacks our girlfriends, right, guys?”
Then, Brandon and Nex protect Stella and Aisha…and Musa, who’s just there.
- Right, guys. When in doubt, attack.
- “Dance of the Tides?” Hmmmm… I like that name.
- “Freedom Enchantment…?” Cool, but odd name.
- I guess the magic music makes more sense now.
- All the Winx can now do what only Roxy (or Flora) should be able to do. 🙁
- The animals are fighting over who’s older? =/
- So much for “Fairy Animals don’t attack each other.” I guess attacking with fruit is okay. 😛
- The Cry-Cries are the most ancient series?
- Poor Roxy…
- Why are they calling Brafilius a wizard? I mean, I guess he is, but he’s so…pathetic. 😕