Oh, the feels! The feels!
Does anyone say that anymore? Anyway, this episode touches my heart every time I watch it. Especially at the end. Sigh. Oh, Musa. 😊
Recap of the last episode: The Winx went to the Middle Ages to find a creature called Quillcat. They found her right away, but she ran off while they were trying to save her from some guards. Luckily, Musa met a minstrel named Orlando who knows the cat personally. He agreed to help the Winx catch her. In exchange, they agreed to play fairies in his play.
1. Brafilius disrupts Orlando’s play by using magic to make the Winx fly. The captain of the guard recognizes them as the fairies he saw earlier, and he orders his men to arrest them. Thanks to Orlando, they escape. He gives them a ride in his carriage to where he used to meet the Quillcat.
These reviews help me understand things I didn’t realize when I first watched the episodes. I called Brafilius stupid for trying to watch the play from behind the crowd. Look at this wide-open space in the middle! Why didn’t he stand there?
Because everyone would have seen him, including the Winx. Duh. 🙄 Granted, he blew his cover when he made them fly, but at that point, he was trying to cause a scene. (No theater puns intended.)
Props to the captain of the guard. (Wait — another theater pun. 😑) He did what most common folk in magical girl shows never do: figure out the heroes’ identities! Different clothes and wooden wings weren’t enough to fool him.
That’s something I couldn’t stand in season four. If the Winx were trying to hide their identities, why did they:
- Run a pet shop that let you download pets to your house from the Winx Club website?
- Go by their real names, which were coincidentally the same as the famous Winx fairies’ names?
- Call their band The Six Winx?
How on Earth did no one put two and two together? Oh, wait. A few girls recognized Stella in “Magic Lessons” (4X15), but they believed her when she said, “You must have me confused with someone else!” Even after Brandon showed up and called her name! 😑 Gardenians are dense!
I feel like I’ve ranted about this before…
Anyway, this time, Rainbow dodged that cliché. Thank goodness. Maybe this guard was smarter than I thought.
Except he didn’t hear the talking dog man behind him:
I take it back. 😛
What should I say about the escape scene? It didn’t go the way most escape scenes do. The guards didn’t follow the Winx (which made no sense), and Orlando tried to catch up with them but outran them instead. It was cute, but not eventful.
2. Orlando and the Winx arrive at a lake. He used to play his lute here when he was young, and the Quillcat came to him every time he played a certain song. Sure enough, the melody summons her again. But Brafilius conjures a pair of sea serpents to ruin the reunion. One of them captures Orlando!
The Winx transform, but they’re afraid to attack for fear they might hit him! Finally, Musa shoots its head and frees him. But it snatches her up moments later! She tells Orlando to hurry and save the Quillcat, who ran away again.
How gorgeous is this place? I love the art in this show. And combined with Orlando’s song, this scene was so beautiful.
Of course, Brafilius had to ruin it. 😑
The fight against the serpents made no sense to me. What was with the “I don’t wanna hit So-and-So” theme this season? Aisha said it, too, in “A Friend From The Past” (7X05). Both times, the Winx could have attacked the enemy from the sides or behind. Plus, they didn’t hold back when the donkey got captured! (Because who cares about him?)
I guess it was because the serpents were flailing too much. Plus, it seemed like they kept turning to face the Winx, which meant Orlando was always in front of them. Even if that’s it, one girl could have distracted them while the others attacked. C’mon, Winx! You’re smarter fighters than this!
3. The Quillcat bumps into the guards again, but Brafilius shows up before they can capture her. He moves them out of the way (with magic), then he tries to figure out if she’s the animal with the First Color of the Universe. But he can’t remember how to activate the Dark Diamond. Orlando appears, playing his lute loudly to break the wizard’s concentration.
Meanwhile, the Winx continue to fight the sea serpents. When one of them goes after Flora, a willow tree reaches out to protect her. She uses her Butterflix spell to make it stronger, and it wraps itself around the serpents and squeezes them into fairy dust!
Great. The Tweddles are back. Why would they say Critty’s breaking the law? Animals don’t follow laws — except the laws of nature. Weird line.
When I first watched the episode, I got annoyed by Brafilius bungling the Dark Diamond spell. How hard is it to remember one word? Now looking back on it, I guess it tied into last episode when he couldn’t remember why his Stone of Memories was glowing. I’ll accept it then. I still wonder how much time has passed, though, since he’s forgotten everything.
Back to the Winx. Now, they realized they could attack from the sides. Why didn’t they think of that before? 😑
The willow part felt random, but I liked seeing Flora’s Butterflix spell again. This scene also reminded me of “The Magic Totem” (6X18), where the trees reached out to break her fall, and she used their energy to thaw her wings and beat Icy.
Did the willow respond to her Butterflix powers or to her as the Fairy of Nature? Or both? Hmmmm… 🤔
4. Musa leaves to help Orlando. When she finds him, Brafilius is about to fling him across the forest! She uses her special spell, Melody of Fairies, to calm the wizard down, which also frees the Quillcat from his magic barrier. She runs to Musa, and the two of them bond.
Afterward, Orlando and the Winx finish the play. At the end, he gives Musa a “crown” (the Quillcat) to take home. Before she returns to the present, she delivers one last aside— a clever farewell to the minstrel.
When did Brafilius get so nasty? Throwing people over trees? Yikes! That’s a step up on the wickedness scale! Of course, it still didn’t take much to beat him.
I loved Musa’s Butterflix spell. It’s not my favorite, but it’s beautiful. I just wish it wasn’t so limited. All it does is calm an enemy down. Compared to the other spells, that seems weak.
At least she saved the day and bonded with Critty. I didn’t like their bonding moment as much as the first two, but it was still cute. My only gripe is why does Musa always use music lingo? “But I feel like together, we make a perfect harmony!” What does that mean? 😕
I don’t have much to say about the play (except the ending), but I think we got another clever moment from the captain of the guard. After meeting six fairies and a dog wizard, did he really think the Winx disappearing was just a “stage trick?” I think he was lying. Maybe he knew the crowd would be scared, so he said that to calm them down.
Now for my favorite part: Musa’s last lines. They get me every time. When I rewatched the episode, I almost teared up. Yep, this almost made me cry:
“It wasn’t only the fairies that saved the kingdom. It was the prince’s sweet music and remarkable courage as well. And for those magical creatures that were lucky enough to be touched by the prince’s true heart, they would never, ever forget him.”
Sad, but so sweet and well-delivered. I loved it. This was one of my favorite scenes in the season. 😊
No, I’m not hopping aboard the Musa X Orlando ship. I still don’t see them as a couple. I’ll talk more about that in my next post.
My Thoughts About Critty
Critty’s one of my least favorite Fairy Animals. To me, she’s the least unique. She’s every stuck-up, fickle feline you’ve ever seen on TV. Except she has quills.
I’m not sure if Rainbow made this creature up. I think I remember someone mentioning a myth about a cat with quills, but I couldn’t find it. If you mythology/literature buffs know about it, feel free to leave a comment. 😉
Even if they made it up, it’s not a silly idea. We know when a cat’s angry or scared, its fur stands up. Why not have it be sharp and pointy for self-defense? The only thing I don’t like Critty as a creature is she’s hot pink! I know that’s because of Musa, but she doesn’t look that threatening when she’s the color of bubblegum and has a bow on her tail. 😕
Like I said in my last review, this was one of my favorite episodes. The ending puts me in such a good mood, I’m willing to forgive some of its problems. Count on seeing it in my “Top 3 Best & Worst Episodes of Season Seven” list. It may not be in the top 3 — just in the “Honorable Mentions” section. We’ll see.
NEXT EPISODE: “WINX TRAPPED!” (7X10)
Brafilius never found out if Critty’s the animal with the First Color of the Universe, so Kalshara sneaks into the Winx’s dorm while they’re sleeping and captures her. They follow the shapeshifter back to her lair. But getting back out isn’t so easy.
Stay tuned for the next review!
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING
- I love how everyone’s calling “Critty” him. Maybe DuArt didn’t know she was a girl yet.
- Having been in plays, I feel bad for these guys. This would be my nightmare. 😛
- How could anyone not love Orlando? ❤
- Nice costumes, Winx, but I like your real transformations more.
- How did no one hear Brafilius behind them?
- He may not be a real prince, but he’s a sweetheart! Go, Orlando!
– STELLA: “Aren’t men in these times supposed to be knights in shining armor?”
Oh, wow! Love it! 😄
- STELLA: “Centuries pass, but boys are always the same.” 😛
- Musa sounded like Flora.
- It looks like Lake Roccaluce! Beautiful!
- This music, this lake…I love this scene.
- Way to ruin the mood, Brafilius.
- Those things are ugly!
- I guess the Winx gave up. No choice but to transform.
- The sea serpent’s not a Fairy Animal? Why not?
- How many times are the Winx gonna hold back because they might hit So-and-So? Why are they being so timid this season?
- Sonic Percussion and Magic Resonance. Cool.
- GUARD: What sort of magic is this?
BRAFILIUS: Pure witchcraft.
I like the way Brafilius said that.
- The willow protected Flora?
- Flora’s used her Butterflix spell twice now!
- Brafilius may be a idiot, but he’s cruel. He’s causally talking about tossing Orlando over a tree!
- I love the Butterflix special spells.
- Aw! Critty doesn’t wanna leave Orlando. 🙁
- What a sweet ending!