Just one more review after this! Whew! Remember: assume I haven’t seen the last episode. No spoilers, please!
Daphne, the Winx, and their boyfriends arrive on Calavera Island to find the Fantasy Emerald. Bloom’s Mythix wand says it’s nearby, but not on the beach. Maybe — suggests Daphne — they should look in Bajo Mundo Cave, where legend says pirates once hid their treasures. The gang heads into a village to ask for directions.
Just as they enter, Eldora appears — in a rocking chair with a teacup in her hand. (Yeah.) She gives them a hint: the Emerald won’t be in the cave. It doesn’t exist in the Real World. Huh?
That’s all they get from her for now. After getting snatched up by a magic vine that grabs passers-by, she escapes before it happens again. These vines must be common on Calavera because the locals aren’t scared of them at all.
But they shudder at the mention of Bajo Mundo Cave. (By the way, bajo mundo means “underworld” in Spanish.) They don’t know where it is, but a boy tells the Winx to ask the wise woman of Calavera. She’d know. The boys stay behind to look for more clues.
The wise woman lives in a hut outside the village. She explains why everyone fears Bajo Mundo: according to legend, it’s where the infamous pirate ship called the Oculta sank. Its crew turned into zombies and hid their treasure in a secret place. The cave’s underwater, off the island, near a lighthouse. But the Winx need to be careful — when the fog rolls in, the zombie pirates awaken. (Creepy.)
Back in the village, the gang meets up again and Bloom shares this new information with the guys. Helia spots the lighthouse as soon as she mentions it. It’s on an island right in front of them! That was easy to find! Now they just need a way to get there. Timmy has something perfect in mind.
Meanwhile, Selina gripes to Acheron about the Trix not sharing their power with her. She’s had enough of them! They need to go! Acheron’s got an idea: offer them the power to enter the Legendarium World. Wait till she sees what happens…
Timmy’s transportation turns out to be…a classic log raft. Everyone but Tecna hates it. Aisha’s alternative is much faster and more fun: Morphix windsurfing boards! Everyone claims one while the geek couple sticks with their eco-friendly ride. Sadly, it gets caught on some rocks along the way and sinks. At least swimming’s eco-friendly, too. 😛
As the gang reaches the island, Daphne spots Bajo Mundo beneath the water. Everyone dives in and resurfaces inside. There’s no sign of any treasure. The Winx summon their Mythix wands for help, but they just glow like Bloom’s did when they arrived. The Emerald’s nearby, but where?
Then Daphne remembers Eldora’s tip: the Emerald doesn’t exist in this world. It’s in the Legendarium World!
Back at Cloud Tower, Selina drops the bait. The Trix are intrigued — but something feels off. Why did she wait so long to tell them something so valuable? “There was no need for you to enter the Legendarium World before,” she says. But the Winx are going there soon, and you could be there waiting for them.
That’s good enough for them. Selina reads them a story about three, power-hungry witches (I wonder if she wrote it in) and use its energy to zap them into the Legendarium World.
The Winx are also ready to go, but Daphne and the boys have to stay behind. If only Eldora were there, too. As if on cue, the fairy godmother reappears. She warns the girls not to stay in the Legendarium World too long — or they could get trapped forever! No worries! They’ll be fine!
But before they can start looking for the Emerald, the Trix ambush them just as Selina “planned.” The Legendarium’s made them even stronger than before! But their fight doesn’t last long. Out of the ship come the zombie pirates!
This episode was much lighter than “Mythix,” but it was still good. It didn’t need a lot of action. The search for the Fantasy Emerald was enough to keep you interested.
Some of my favorite scenes were during the windsurfing race. It was nice to see the guys interacting with the Winx again instead of just seeing them off before a trip. They used to spend a lot more time together. It’s a wonder they’re all still dating. 😛
Plus, unlike in “The Fairy Godmother” when the Winx were just skipping around the forest and wasting time, the race was fulfilling a goal: get to Bajo Mundo Cave. They just had some fun along with way. No problem with that. (Flying would have been faster, though. 😛 )
Another highlight: Selina plotting against the Trix. Now that she’s written them into the Legendarium, I’m starting to think the Winx (maybe with her help) will defeat them by locking them inside. That might be what Acheron wants. It would be a big ending — the Trix wouldn’t exist anymore! — and the Winx would defeat them without ending their lives, which is more “kid-friendly.” It’s kinda like the energy-bending ending in Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Your mileage may vary on how good it was. 😛 )
I only had two complaints about this episode:
- Like I said, I was happy to see the couples together again, but…the guys didn’t help much. They couldn’t find any information, then the Winx left them behind in Bajo Mundo Cave. Remember when they used to fight monsters and blow things up with magi-bombs? I miss those days.
- I’ll say this again, too: Nickbow wasted the seventh Mythix wand on Eldora. She doesn’t need it if she’s just gonna be a recurring comic relief character from now on! If Roxy can’t have it, at least give it to Daphne! She’d use it!
Final thoughts: good, though not as good as “Mythix.” Great use of comedy without making the episode feel like filler.
Last episode of the marathon (finally!): “Zombie Invasion.” The Winx and the Trix fight the zombie pirates of the Oculta. Wait…are they teaming up?! Review coming soon!
THOUGHTS WHILE WATCHING
- “Ancestral wands?” I like “Mythix wands” more.
- First time Daphne’s gotten a matching outfit. What does that mean?
- It’s kinda funny to hear Aisha say, “We’re not here to play in the waves.” You’re the fairy of waves, dear. 😛
- Aw! Daphne blushed! Cute! 🙂
- Asking their wands for help again. *Sigh*
- Finding a gem in a pirate’s cave? That won’t be easy.
- Pretty village!
- Why don’t the Specialists know more about this mission? They’re not usually this out of the loop!
- Grabbing vines. This has “embarrass Stella” written all over it. 😛
- If the vine put Eldora down so softly, what was it trying to do in the first place? 😕
- A “field trip?” Really?
- Tecna’s being Captain Obvious again. And how does Stella know Pig Latin? 😛
- Yep, Stella got embarrassed. 😛 Seems like it’s been a while since we’ve seen Flora talk to a plant.
- Wise Woman of Calavera, huh? Cool.
- Why is this remind me of Pirates of the Carribbean? 😛
- I like how the Wise Woman said “Oculta.” She’s cool. Too bad she’s an one-shot character.
- Of course, you didn’t find anything, Sky. You’re not the main heroes. 😛
- Conveniently, the Winx end up in the perfect spot to find the lighthouse. 😛
- Stella, you should know better than to think it’s “just a little legend.”
- Wow! Timmy talked? Is this the first time this season? I miss his and Tecna’s techno babble.
- Selina wants the Trix gone? I guess she doesn’t admire them anymore.
- The power to enter the Legendarium World? Selina can just…do that? Makes the Winx’s hard work seem kinda pointless. They could have just stolen the book! 😛
- Eco-friendly? Wind energy? Is season five slipping into this episode? 😛
- Daphne’s getting along better with the other Winx now. Hmmmm…
- “I’m not getting ship-wrecked on that thing.” LOL, Nex!
- Since when are windsurfers “accessories,” Stella?
- Aw! Timmy and Tecna are such a cute couple!
- Swimsuits and life jackets? Wow! Stella’s fashion change was actually useful this time! I wonder if the Color Splash dolls’ dresses will transform into swimsuits, too.
- Uh oh! More love triangle action. Looks like Roy definitely has competition now.
- Nex, stop being a jerk to Timmy. Aisha, why aren’t you saying anything? 😕
- Boys, why are you acting stupid all of a sudden?
- A special sequence for summoning the wands? Cute, but a little over the top.
- Does this area in the Real World correspond to a place in the Legendarium World?
- The Trix don’t trust Selina anymore. Interesting.
- How many times are you gonna say “Legendarium World,” Selina? Shaymalaning much?
- Eldora, why aren’t you coming? You have a wand! And why are you twice as ditzy today?
- Nex is already acting like Aisha’s boyfriend. 😛
- How many times do you have to twirl and pose with it, Bloom? Get on with it!
- The CGI in this season seems better, but the Trix look a little weird.
- Clever move, Bloom! Icy, never give away how your spell works! 😛
- The curse of being an amateur 3D modeler: I can tell the Winx’s wings are just image textures. *Sigh* 😕
- Cool spell, Flora!
- Wait! The Trix and the Winx have to fight TOGETHER? 😯