Christmas in June? Why not! Jordan B. is here with a review of the season five Christmas special “A Magix Christmas.”
“Thoughts on Winx Club Episode 5X10: ‘A Magix Christmas’”
~ By Jordan B. ~
Ahh, Christmas, the season of good will toward all, the time for giving gifts to loved ones. In Winx Club, it’s no different, but will an uninvited terrible trio ruin Christmas? Well, time to find out.
The episode begins at Alfea as usual, where Bloom is humming “Jingle Bells” when the Winx make their presence known. Bloom explains what Christmas is, since they haven’t celebrated, but the Trix, spying on the Winx, mistakenly determine that a feeling that you get around Christmas is a form of power and plan to steal it.
Back at Alfea, as Bloom and the Winx are saying goodbye, the Specialists arrive. Sky notices Bloom has a suitcase and asks where she’s going. She says that she’s going home for Christmas and wishes Sky could celebrate it with her (which I get), but the Trix summon the ice dragons to ruin her day. The Winx try to fight the dragons but are unable to destroy them, while the Specialists get the Alfea students to safety.
But the ice dragons then seal everyone inside Alfea. The Winx try to destroy the dome but are unsuccessful again, which makes Bloom sad. She goes for a walk round Alfea.
The Winx and Specialists decide to make Christmas for Bloom in…let’s just say an odd way, which works as well as you’d expect. The Trix show up and fight the Winx, and Bloom learns that the Trix are attacking based on failure to do research. Icy destroying the gingerbread house sends Bloom into a rage where she goes to max power, one-shots the ice dragons, and destroys the ice dome, making it snow while sending the Trix blasting off again.
Then Faragonda, who has done her research, allows Mike, Vanessa, and the Gardenia kids to visit Alfea to celebrate Christmas with Bloom. We get a Peter Pan-style flight sequence around a Christmas-decorated Alfea, and Bloom wishes everyone a Merry Christmas.
What I Observed
• Bloom’s elf costume was cute as heck. 😊
• The friendship bracelets being the first Christmas gift the Winx get was nice. 😊
• Wait, why weren’t Marion and Oritel invited, since they are Bloom’s birth parents and Christmas is supposed to be celebrated with your whole family, which includes your boyfriend and birth parents? 😕
• The ice dragons made an interesting monster for the Winx to fight.
• So, a magic ice dome can block phone signals? Sorry, I have to call BS on that. 😤
• “We’ll miss you Bloom.” “I’ll only be gone for two days.” Seriously, can’t the Winx go two days with Bloom not being around? 😤
• “Our magic isn’t working on them!” Once again, I call BS again, but I’ll explain why in my overall thoughts. 😤
• Yikes, Flora, that tree looks as bad as dodo and that creature’s dead! 😱
• The Christmas house was nice, and Stella dressed up as Santa claus was amusing. 😊
• The Trix destroying a Christmas decoration sends Bloom into an anger outburst? Yikes! Remind me never to ruin Christmas! 😱
• The ending song was nice, as was the flying sequence. However, Santa hats and Harmonix don’t work together.
Now was this episode good? Well, yes and no. It had good voice acting and animation, and lastly good pacing and an easy plot to follow — if you ignore the factor that makes the plot fall apart — while the Trix not knowing the magic of Christmas was not actually magic is understandable, since they have never visited earth at Christmastime.
However, the major problem with this episode — heck, with the show from season one in general — is that most of the conflicts could be solved by brute force. All it took to destroy the ice dragons and ice dome was the full power of the Dragon Flame. Bloom could have done that during the first battle against the ice dragons, but then the plot would’ve ended early, so they needed an excuse to make the episode last longer.
But do I recommend this episode, obviously. It’s a nice episode to watch and a good Christmas episode.