Guess what? The Winx get Butterflix in this episode! Gasp! What a shocker!
Sigh. Why does Rainbow tell us when the Winx are gonna get their new forms now? Just look at these titles: “The Power of Harmonix” (5X06), “Sirenix” (5X13), “Mythix” (6X14), and now “Butterflix.” Bloomix was the exception, since not all the girls earned it in the same episode, but we knew someone was gonna get it in “Bloomix Power” (6X04).
Next season, I wanna be surprised again. I wanna see the Winx in a now-or-never situation and not know if they’ll get a new power or not. It’s more suspenseful that way.
Anyway, let’s look at episode 7X03: “Butterflix!” Don’t forget the Winx are still in the past. When I say Faragonda, Kalshara, etc., I’m talking about their younger selves. (I just don’t wanna put “young” in front of their names each time.)
1. The Winx and Roxy promise to help Faragonda find her Digmole. In Wizgiz’s classroom, teacher’s pet Kalshara shows off by turning into a bird, which Bloom recognizes as the thief who stole the last Digmole from The Alfea Natural Park. Wizgiz kicks Faragonda out and dismisses Kalshara for good behavior. As they head back to their dorm, Kalshara convinces her that by reading the Tome of Nature, she can figure out where her Digmole went.
I’ll save my thoughts about these scenes for later.
2. Faragonda sneaks into Mavilla’s office while she’s away and steals the Tome. The headmistress’s pet lions almost catch her, but she uses her magic to turn them into harmless widdle cubs. D’aww! She heads back to her dorm.
Faragonda snuck into her future office? That’s ironic! Nothing stood out to me about this scene, except…the Pelletfly’s joke! “Wait for the beak?” It cracks me up every time! 😛 I love puns, and the delivery was perfect. Kudos to Mavilla’s voice actress!
3. According to the Tome of Nature, Digmoles live in the Valley of Fruit. Faragonda starts to feel guilty and wants to put the book back, but Kalshara “promises” to return it for her. The future headmistress believes her and leaves to find the Winx. Kalshara rips out a page, uses the spell on it to enter the Fairy Animals’ Hall, and absorbs the Wild Magic stored there.
Oh, Faragonda! You’re so naive! Never trust someone who does something fishy, then tells you to trust them! 😛
I wasn’t impressed with the Fairy Animals’ Hall scene. We’re just three episodes in, and we’ve already seen two, new secret rooms? And why should a bubble of Wild Magic be so easy to get to if it’s so dangerous? Alfea has a lot of safety issues!
4. Without the Wild Magic, all the Fairy Animals at Alfea go nuts. Faragonda thinks this is her fault, but before she can tell the Winx what she did, Mavilla shows up holding the Tome of Nature. Busted! Just then, Bloom sees the bird Kalshara turned into in Wizgiz’s class flying away. The Winx, Faragonda, Roxy, and Mavilla decide to head to the Valley of Fruit to “restore order to the Fairy Animal world.”
What did the Digmoles have to do with this scene? Yes, now we know Kalshara was after them, but Faragonda didn’t know that, so why would she suggest going to the Valley of Fruit? I think it would have made more sense if someone — maybe Bloom — had said, “Let’s follow Kalshara and see where she goes.” Otherwise, it seems like Faragonda was only thinking about her own problems.
5. Kalshara finds Brafilius asleep in the Valley of Fruit. Against his wishes, she uses a diamond laced with Wild Magic to turn him into a dog. While he’s stumbling around chasing Digmoles, our heroes show up. Brafilius uses his new powers to summon the Giant of the Valley to capture the little Fairy Animals, and Roxy and the Winx transform to save them. Meanwhile, Kalshara tries to attack Mavilla. Faragonda turns her into a cub and tries to cage her, but Brafilius snatches her away with his hat and disappears.
I liked it when Kalshara turned Brafilius into a dog (before he started chasing the Digmoles). Sounded like he didn’t wanna be involved in her plans anymore. I wonder if he’s still mad at her for this on him.
One question, though: did he have magic powers before he became an animal? I’m guessing he didn’t. That might explain why he couldn’t use them well.
6. The Winx’s spells aren’t working on the giant because it’s protected by nature. Roxy and Aisha come up with a plan: attack its arms to free the Digmoles and let them defend themselves. It works. The Digmoles dig the giant to pieces! The magic that protected it is released onto the Winx, and they become Butterflix fairies! Faragonda lets her Digmole go, and Mavilla thanks the Winx for helping her realize the Fairy Animals should be free. She decides to erase the memories of everyone at Alfea so no one can abuse these animals again.
I’ll talk about this in the next section, too. Read the rest of this post