With Winx Club’s 15th anniversary about half a year away, Knight7572 looks back at one of the episodes that started it all. The Trix sneak into Alfea to sabotage the school dance as a diversion so they can steal Stella’s ring. When Bloom stands up to them, she transforms into a fairy for the first time. How does this episode hold up? Take it away, Knight.
“Review of Episode 1X03: ‘Save The First Dance’”
~ By Knight7572 ~
Please note: the episode I watched was is the 4Kids version.
Ahh, season one, where it all began nearly 15 years ago. Does the episode stand the test of time, or has it rotted away like most things? Time to find out.
The episode begins in Wizgiz’s metamorphosis class, and after demonstrating how metamorphosis works, all the class attempt the simplest exercise: changing their hair colour. But Bloom is unable to do so (which should have been a clue that maybe Bloom’s magic wasn’t suited to metamorphosis, but I’ll come back to that later).
Anyway, after hearing the announcement for Alfea’s first of the year dance, Bloom doesn’t have a dress, which I can understand, but even a shopping spree with Stella can’t find the right dress. But with a bit of creative thinking and a bit of shopping sale Earth know-how, Bloom finds the dress she wants but can’t find a pair of scissors to get creative with the dress she bought. But Bloom overhears the Trix’s plan, and the Winx foil it.
Bloom goes after the ring and runs into the Trix, who are understandably cheesed and attempt to kill Bloom. But sheer willpower activates her Winx form — which was obvious since Bloom’s power is more suited to combat — but is unable to beat them. after the Trix retreat, the Winx enjoy the night, while Icy gets a duck and not the Solaria Ring. With a good ending song, the episode ends.
What I Observed
- Faragonda met her husband at her back to school. Well, Faragonda must be a lucky gal. 😉
- So the Trix’s plan is to steal Stella’s ring. To use the sabotage of the Alfea dance would be a creative cover.
- Flora wishes they could create outfits with magic. Well, I think she got her wish in the later seasons.
- I liked the Disney princess reference.
- Bloom’s Bloom Couture outfit was very nice.
- The Winx counter spelling the Trix and wrecking both their plans was nice. 🙂
- Bloom’s first Winx transformation sequence was very well animated. 🙂
- I don’t get how the Trix didn’t spot Bloom ahead of them or see her shadow. -_-
- Princess Musa? I would criticize, but I remember that Musa was a princess in this dub.
- Alfea security is so bad that they leave the gifts unguarded. Seriously, that is a major error, which could and did allow for an act of sabotage. -_-
- How did no one hear the fighting going on outside? I mean, seriously, Bloom narrowly avoid being killed on her first day at college. -_-
So has this episode aged well in over 14 years? Well, the voice acting was enjoyable, as was the episode overall. However, the animation looked horrible cause it feels primitive compared to what Winx has today. I suspect 14 years ago it was good, but it hasn’t aged well.
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I would have criticised Wizgiz for not knowing that Bloom’s magic was not suited to metamorphosis, but given that neither he nor Bloom knew what Bloom’s magic was at the time, I’m willing to let this one slide. Still, I enjoyed the fight between Bloom and the Trix, who failed to check if Bloom was frozen in ice, which she avoided.
Bloom not having a dress to wear is totally understandable because she probably never had to deal with a situation like this before, and she’s experiencing a change in her life that is unexpected to say the least.
Now watching this episode gave me a sort of better understanding of why people said the outfits looked skimpy cause they showed off a lot of skin, which I could see as skimpy. The characters not having proper body proportions was more a result of the animation style used back then, but the seasons that came after addressed both of these problems, so they are no longer valid.
So what do you lot think of S1, EP3? I have to ask: should I review season 1 ep 17? I will try to look at it in a balanced light, but Sky and Bloom’s actions are going to be scrutinized.