Nex is not “the new Riven.” Got it? Good. 😛
Why did I write that post before this one? I mentioned why at the beginning of it. Whenever Nex says or does anything, the first thing people say, “He’s ‘the new Riven'” or, “He replaced Riven” or, “He’s just Riven except —,” or something like that. The fanbase keeps trying to force Nex into a role he wasn’t created for.
We’ll never understand his character until we stop comparing him to Riven. The truth is we still don’t know him well. He’s only been around for two seasons.
Here’s what I’ve been hinting at since the ep. 7X04 review. In season six, Rainbow began his love story with Aisha. This season, they focused on his relationships with the Specialists. In most of the episodes he was in, he interacted with one or two of them at a time:
- “First Color of the Universe” (7X04) — Brandon, brief moment with Helia
- “Back in the Middle Ages” (7X08) — Helia
- “Winx Trapped!” (7X10) — Timmy
- “Mission in the Jungle” (7X11) — Sky
- “Back to Paradise Bay” (7X16) — Sky, brief moment with Brandon
- “Lost in a Droplet” (7X17) — Timmy
- “Baby Winx” (7X20) — Helia
- “New Magic Harmony” (7X25) — Helia, Sky
- “The Power of the Fairy Animals” (7X26) — Timmy, brief moment with Helia
The types of interactions varied. Sometimes he talked to them, sometimes he raced them, and sometimes he just exchanged glances with them. You could always tell who the chosen guy was for each episode. He and Nex would be isolated from the others, or Nex would be beside him in almost every scene. For example, in “Baby Winx” (7X20), he was almost always next to Helia:
This is nothing new for TV. For example, when Zuko joined the Gaang in Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aang, Katara, and Sokka each got an episode (or two) alone with him. When it was Toph’s turn, she lampshaded what the writers were up to: “Everyone else went on a life-changing field trip with Zuko.” (It didn’t work out for her, though. 😛 )
The guys’ moments with Nex didn’t change their lives, but they did reveal his real role in the Boys Club. (Hint: it has nothing to do with Riven.)