The World of Winx trailer debuted at the Licensing Expo in Las Vegas last month. No, I don’t know when we’ll get to see it, but my affiliate Michael from Michael’s Winx Club gave us a sneak peek. He posted some screenshots on his news page. I’m not gonna repost them here — except the Stella Dreamix pic he gave me — so visit his site to see them!
Michael also shared some new info about the show. Here are my thoughts on what we’ve seen and learned.
THE ART STYLE
We thought it was just Fairy Couture in motion. But judging from the screenshots, it looks like a hybrid of Winx Club‘s style and Fairy Couture — but closer to the second. I like it except for one problem: all the Winx have the same face! I know some fans have complained about this in Winx Club, but the only time it was this bad was in season four. Even their noses are the same! (What happened to Flora’s cute pixie nose? ☹ )
Is this enough to ruin the show for me? No. It could be worse. All the main characters could have the same face — even the guys. Like in Digimon Adventure tri. Ugh. 😑
I can put up with this.
DREAMIX: THE NEW TRANSFORMATION
Way to keep a secret, Rainbow. Nothing I’d read about the show even hinted at a new transformation. That’s usually their main selling point. Maybe Dreamix won’t be as important to the story as past transformations have been.
As soon as I read the name, I gasped. Do you remember a post I wrote called “Create a Fifth Season Transformation” — back before season five premiered? (Of course you don’t. That was seven years ago. Just humor me. 😛 ) My made-up transformation was called — drumroll, please — Dreamix. I mentioned it again in one of my “Ask OP” posts.
“Oh my gosh! Rainbow stole my idea!” 😡
Yeah, right. 😜 No, I don’t think that. Anyone could come up with that name. (Lots of non-Winx stuff pops up when you Google it.) Besides, we’re running out of decent-sounding “-ix” names. At least Dreamix sounds better than Butterflix and Tynix! (I hate Tynix more.)
Rainbow’s concept is different than mine, too. With my Dreamix, the Winx use dream dust — an alternate form of fairy dust — to enter people’s dreams. They can also use convergence to create dreams and visions. It sounds like their Dreamix is about figurative dreams: goals and aspirations. I hope real dreams play a part in this, too.
Let’s talk about the outfits. They look like a cross between Sirenix (which I hate) and Bloomix (which I love). Since WoW is geared toward a slightly older audience and mimics Fairy Couture, I get why Rainbow went the “high fashion” route. Older fans tend to prefer those kinds of transformations over cutesy, sparkly ones.
What about the wings? They’re okay, but they’re not at all my favorites. These may not be the final versions, though. Remember what the Sirenix and Bloomix wings looked like in the trailers vs. the show? We’ll see if any changes were made when the show premieres.
Here’s how I’d rank these new looks from least favorite to favorite:
6. Bloom: I like her wings (though they look too much like her Bloomix wings), but what happened to her outfit? 😕 It’s so plain! To me, this is her worst form ever.
5. Musa: Her outfit’s way more interesting than Bloom’s, but those boring wings ruin the look. What shape are they supposed to be? I hope they look better in flight.
4. Tecna: She looks okay, but I think the remaining three look better. I like her wings, though.
3. Flora: Finally! A pretty fairy form for my favorite Winx! This almost makes up for Mythix, Butterflix, and Tynix. I’m not crazy about the wings, but the rest looks good.
2. Aisha: She was almost #1 on the list, but I don’t like her wings as much as Stella’s. I love her outfit, though. It’s my favorite. 😊
1. Stella: I love almost everything about her look. I’m not sure how I feel about the bands across her torso, but they’re better than nothing at all. (Right, Bloom?)
THE FULL STORY
Since Rainbow kept emphasizing the spy story, I was worried WoW wouldn’t have any fantasy elements. I didn’t just think there’d be no transformation. I thought we’d see a new kind of villain, too. Instead of sorcerers and witches, the Winx would be up against something like a crime syndicate kidnapping kids for experiments. Maybe the villain would be a mafia boss. 😛
As cool as that might have been, it wouldn’t have felt like Winx Club. So when I read the full synopsis, I was relieved. The Winx are looking for “a mysterious and magical island. This island is the mythical Neverland, ruled by a cruel queen, who once was a little fairy called Tinker Bell. Without her Peter Pan, grown-up and far away, the little fairy is grown-up as well now and is ready for her revenge, capturing the special guys of the whole world in order to create her own new court of Lost Boys…”
Neverland? Tinker Bell? Lost Boys? Now that’s more like it!
But who comes to mind when you hear the name “Tinker Bell?” The blonde pixie in a green dress who makes Disney’s logo appear. Rainbow wants to use a Disney character? Can they legally do that? According to my research, they can.
Disney didn’t create Tinker Bell. The story of Peter Pan was written by Scottish author J.M. Barrie. In 1929, he gave the rights to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. To put on a play or make a movie that tells the original story, you need a license from the hospital. But if you just wanna use the characters, you don’t need permission. They’re public domain.
I think this counts as just using the characters. Even if I’m wrong, it’s nothing to worry about. Rainbow knows what they’re doing.
Putting Tinker Bell in the Winx universe raises a few questions. Is she an Earth fairy? If so, was she around when the Wizards of the Black Circle attacked? Or is she from the Legendarium World, since Peter Pan’s a fictional story? (Or is it?)
Maybe we shouldn’t ask yet. This is a spinoff. It may not even fit in the Winx Club timeline.
I wanna explore what we already know. Why did Peter Pan leave her? Will he appear in the show? Are the Lost Boys her henchmen — like “Jim,” who we saw in the storyboards — or are they the kids she’s capturing?
And how does Dreamix come into this? Here’s my theory. Tinker Bell and The Lost Boys convince the kids to give up on their dreams. “Your dreams won’t matter when you grow up,” they might say. The Winx use Dreamix to help them believe in their dreams again and make them come true.
QUESTIONS I STILL HAVE ABOUT THE SHOW
- Will the guys be in it? An idea I came up with: what if Tinker Bell tempts them to become Lost Boys? How would the Winx respond to having to fight their own boyfriends?
- What other characters will be in it? Roxy? Faragonda? The Pixies (please, no)? If Roxy appears, we know she won’t be a main character. She hasn’t even been mentioned so far. Sigh. 🙁
- Will the whole series take place on Earth, or will part of it take place in the Magic Dimension?
- Is the Tinker Bell story just for season one, or will it extend into season two (or beyond, if the series gets renewed)?
- Will there be merchandise? Rainbow has said they wanna make WoW a separate franchise from Winx Club. I hope that happens! I want new dolls. Badly.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What are your thoughts on what we’ve learned? What do you hope to see in the show? Talk about it in the comments!